"Plakias - Southern shores of Crete" Plakias by janetanne

Plakias Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 16 photos

The Resort of Plakias

The small touristic village of Plakias, is just a 30 minute drive south from Rethymnon. The drive takes you through one of the most magnificent stretches of rugged mountain gorges in Crete. You drive through a deep gorge from which a river cuts through the rocks far below.

The village of Plakias is a great place for a summer holiday, away from the usual busy places of Crete. There are many hotels and individual rooms available as well as local tavernas. The beach is wide and sandy and the bay is a well know gathering place for wind surfers in the summer. For this reason, you should be aware of the strong winds that prevail especially in August.

From Plakias, you can easily reach one of the most famous historical monasteries in Greece, Moni Preveli, of which I will write in further detail in one of the tips on 'things to do.'

Moni Preveli

Although I had visited this monastery in the past, this trip was special. I was lucky to be able to visit this wonderful and historic place during the Holy Week of Easter.

The drive at night, if you have never been to Moni Preveli, is not to be undertaken by the inexperienced driver! The road is narrow, winding and very dark! There are no street lights or lights of any kind, except the stars above. In fact, when I arrived on Holy Thursday, at 10pm, I was amazed by the darkness and yet the brilliance of the stars above. As I walked along the path in the direction of the main Church, all that could be seen was the faint flickering of the candles in the windows of the Church; the only sound, was the chanting of the monks. This was how it had been for centuries...only the modern means of transportation has interrupted this journey into the past. I wondered what it must have been like going there on the back of a mule or horse? For certain, I would have missed the service!

• Last visit to Plakias: Apr 2006
  • Intro Written Apr 27, 2006

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2011 at 6:33 AM

Interesting stories of the Second World War.

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2009 at 12:57 PM

Dear Jane - you are, indeed, my Greek professor. I will be well prepared once I do go - thanks to you! <(•¿•)>

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2009 at 9:02 PM

One Australian soldier never forgot what the monks and people of Prevelli did and now Prevelly has special meaning to those who come to Margaret River in Western Australia.

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2009 at 2:09 AM

Wonderfully interesting page on Plakias, Jane.I amlearning so much about Greece from you! That Abbott was a brave man!

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Apr 26, 2007 at 8:50 AM

Excellent reading on Plakias troubled past - a good history lesson & I would hope this would never happen again

• easyoar's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2006 at 2:42 PM

This reminds me a bit of Cyprus! Good page.

• RafaelTheSecond's Profile Photo
    Jun 21, 2006 at 5:36 PM

YOU ARE A REAL GREEK TEACHER!;)))) Learning greek with you must be easier because you just shoot LOVE to our brains!!!

• mengu's Profile Photo
    Jun 10, 2006 at 6:52 AM

Thanks your amazing page about Preveli, since I have there once, I very liked your pics. and comments about it, thanks again,

• Karin1S's Profile Photo
    May 28, 2006 at 2:16 AM

Hi Janet, thank you for your birthday wishes!! Nice Plakias page - i like Preveli very much - we've been there in 1988, it was a very nice and unknown place to stay - and we've been there 3 years ago - so many people . . . greetings from Berlin Karin

• manuelEB's Profile Photo
    May 22, 2006 at 11:20 PM

Yes, i visited this page but did not leave a footmark... Now is here.

janetanne Visits Here Frequently!

janetanne

“He who hesitates is lost”

Badges & Stats in Plakias

Have you been to Plakias?

Latest Activity in Plakias