"Plakias - Southern shores of Crete" Plakias by janetanne
Plakias Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 16 photos
The small touristic village of Plakias, is just a 30 minute drive south from Rethymnon. The drive takes you through one of the most magnificent stretches of rugged mountain gorges in Crete. You drive through a deep gorge from which a river cuts through the rocks far below.
The village of Plakias is a great place for a summer holiday, away from the usual busy places of Crete. There are many hotels and individual rooms available as well as local tavernas. The beach is wide and sandy and the bay is a well know gathering place for wind surfers in the summer. For this reason, you should be aware of the strong winds that prevail especially in August.
From Plakias, you can easily reach one of the most famous historical monasteries in Greece, Moni Preveli, of which I will write in further detail in one of the tips on 'things to do.'
Although I had visited this monastery in the past, this trip was special. I was lucky to be able to visit this wonderful and historic place during the Holy Week of Easter.
The drive at night, if you have never been to Moni Preveli, is not to be undertaken by the inexperienced driver! The road is narrow, winding and very dark! There are no street lights or lights of any kind, except the stars above. In fact, when I arrived on Holy Thursday, at 10pm, I was amazed by the darkness and yet the brilliance of the stars above. As I walked along the path in the direction of the main Church, all that could be seen was the faint flickering of the candles in the windows of the Church; the only sound, was the chanting of the monks. This was how it had been for centuries...only the modern means of transportation has interrupted this journey into the past. I wondered what it must have been like going there on the back of a mule or horse? For certain, I would have missed the service!
Following upon the liberation of Crete a force from the population of the area was formed at the expense of the... more travel advice
A group of Australian soldiers attempted and managed successfully to make contact with a British submarine and in... more travel advice
janetanne's Related Pages
Plakias Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Plakias - Southern shores of Crete"
- "Greece - Plakias"
- "Plakias & the southeast"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Plakias
- 6 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Plakias?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Plakias
Photos in PlakiasSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spetses Island Intro, 42 reviews, 119 photos, 3 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 34 reviews, 84 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chios Intro, 22 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vouliagmeni Intro, 19 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue
- Windsor Intro, 12 reviews, 51 photos, 2 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 31 reviews, 31 photos
- Prefecture of Attica Intro, 16 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Houghton Lake Intro, 21 reviews, 29 photos
- Anavissos Intro, 10 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sounio Intro, 12 reviews, 32 photos