"Serifos-Fos-Light & the Amazing Lightness of Being" Serifos Island by janetanne
Serifos Island Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 56 photos
Just a few minutes walk from the main port of Serifos, up the hill and beyond the camping, you will come to the most pristine beach I've seen in a long time. The sand is not really a fine sand, but brown granuals that looked like brown sugar, the kind that doesn't cling to wet skin. The beach was almost deserted, as we visited late in the afternoon, around 4:30pm and early in June before the invasion of tourist and Greeks from the mainland. The swimmers we all nude. What surprised me, was the presence of a gentleman well beyond the age of 70, perhaps even nearing 80, still spry and eager for life as he made his way into the cold waters filling the bay. It seemed so natural, that the human form should enter the life-giving waters of the sea, just as it was born. Further down, a middle-aged, ample-bodied couple made their way along the beach before also diving into the waves.
I sat for awhile, and then, I too,made my way into the cold waters of the sea, wearing only my goggles, blue latex swim cap, blue flippers and my blue plastic hand paddles! I'm sure I was a sight to behold, but for the grace of God, no one was in the least bit interested. So, I swam out into the absolutely pristine and amazingly clear water to behold a sight that only an artist could appreciate. Below the waters, the sea bed was made of a hard, bisque-coloured shale, which was softly indented by evenly spaced 'bowls' upon the surface. Inside each of these naturally made 'bowls' were collections of perfectly small, marble-like stones, gently swirling and rocking inside the bowls as the force of the waves moved the water with an unheard rhythm. As the hard surface diminished and faded into a soft sand, patterns appeared on the seabed, aliken to the patterns of waves on the surface of the sea. It was as if i were looking down on an amazing pattern, created by nature in such a magnificent way, that no man or woman could duplicate. All along the edges of the 'ridges' of the sand patterns, was a thin but precise line of 'black' sand. This black line of sand appeared to have been 'painted' so delicately just along the top edge of each 'wave-like' pattern! It was amazing.
My next major purchase should be an underwater digital camera!
We were lucky and sailed to Serifos on a beautiful sailboat we chartered from the Marina in Alimos. We were three boats... more travel advice
janetanne's Related Pages
Serifos Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Serifos-Fos-Light & the Amazing Lightness of Being"
- "When I Saw The Water Lapping............"
- "Serifos Island"
- "Serifos after a storm"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Serifos Island
- Transportation in Serifos Island
- Nightlife in Serifos Island
- Restaurants in Serifos Island
- Shopping in Serifos Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Serifos Island
- 3 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Serifos Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Serifos Island
- Posted in Travel Greece Forum "Re: Visa Requirements for Syrian"
- Commented on one of johngayton's Serifos Island travel pages
- Wrote a Review By Boat Only in Serifos Island Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "By Boat Only"
- updated a Serifos Island Travel Page "Serifos-Fos-Light & the Amazing Lightness of Being"
Photos in Serifos IslandSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spetses Island Intro, 42 reviews, 119 photos, 3 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 34 reviews, 84 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chios Intro, 22 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vouliagmeni Intro, 19 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue
- Windsor Intro, 12 reviews, 51 photos, 2 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 31 reviews, 31 photos
- Prefecture of Attica Intro, 16 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Houghton Lake Intro, 21 reviews, 29 photos
- Anavissos Intro, 10 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sounio Intro, 12 reviews, 32 photos