"Serifos-Fos-Light & the Amazing Lightness of Being" Serifos Island by janetanne

Serifos Island Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 56 photos

If You want Solitude in the Nude....

Just a few minutes walk from the main port of Serifos, up the hill and beyond the camping, you will come to the most pristine beach I've seen in a long time. The sand is not really a fine sand, but brown granuals that looked like brown sugar, the kind that doesn't cling to wet skin. The beach was almost deserted, as we visited late in the afternoon, around 4:30pm and early in June before the invasion of tourist and Greeks from the mainland. The swimmers we all nude. What surprised me, was the presence of a gentleman well beyond the age of 70, perhaps even nearing 80, still spry and eager for life as he made his way into the cold waters filling the bay. It seemed so natural, that the human form should enter the life-giving waters of the sea, just as it was born. Further down, a middle-aged, ample-bodied couple made their way along the beach before also diving into the waves.

I sat for awhile, and then, I too,made my way into the cold waters of the sea, wearing only my goggles, blue latex swim cap, blue flippers and my blue plastic hand paddles! I'm sure I was a sight to behold, but for the grace of God, no one was in the least bit interested. So, I swam out into the absolutely pristine and amazingly clear water to behold a sight that only an artist could appreciate. Below the waters, the sea bed was made of a hard, bisque-coloured shale, which was softly indented by evenly spaced 'bowls' upon the surface. Inside each of these naturally made 'bowls' were collections of perfectly small, marble-like stones, gently swirling and rocking inside the bowls as the force of the waves moved the water with an unheard rhythm. As the hard surface diminished and faded into a soft sand, patterns appeared on the seabed, aliken to the patterns of waves on the surface of the sea. It was as if i were looking down on an amazing pattern, created by nature in such a magnificent way, that no man or woman could duplicate. All along the edges of the 'ridges' of the sand patterns, was a thin but precise line of 'black' sand. This black line of sand appeared to have been 'painted' so delicately just along the top edge of each 'wave-like' pattern! It was amazing.

My next major purchase should be an underwater digital camera!

• Last visit to Serifos Island: Jun 2007
  • Intro Updated Jun 12, 2007

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo
    Jan 24, 2011 at 8:45 PM

Janet! Nice looking sailboats. Were they 42' sloops. If you got that underwater camera watch where you point it in Serifos. ;-)

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2009 at 10:42 PM

Hi Janet, another nice little island, another nice little page!

• johngayton's Profile Photo
    May 30, 2009 at 6:34 PM

Just been reliving our little boat trip - definitely great memories! How are you these days?

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Mar 15, 2008 at 3:49 AM

Bathing in your birthday suit, blue cap and bounding over brown sugar before beers by the bar!

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2008 at 9:57 PM

a lovely place I have never heared of !!

• TheTravelSlut's Profile Photo
    Oct 28, 2007 at 2:33 PM

Very cool. What a nice find. You never know, I may make it there someday. Ann, The Travel Slut

• craic's Profile Photo
    Sep 17, 2007 at 11:57 PM

what a lovely place - indeed it is

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Jul 13, 2007 at 2:16 AM

We camped on the beach at Serifos for a few days once - what a great place. Nice to hear it still has its quiet charm. leyle

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Jul 12, 2007 at 7:30 AM

Wonderful descriptions and beautiful photos.

• sachara's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2007 at 1:51 AM

Wow Janet, great intro ! And the pictures is great too. Last week I bought finally that underwatercover for my camera, for my trip next week to Madagascar and Mauritius.

janetanne

“He who hesitates is lost”

Badges & Stats in Serifos Island

Have you been to Serifos Island?

Latest Activity in Serifos Island