"Female Freedom Fighter" Top 5 Page for this destination Spetses Island by janetanne
Spetses Island Travel Guide: 118 reviews and 264 photos
Bouboulina! An illustrious name that arouses feelings of patriotism, sacrifice and bravery in the heart of every Greek. She is the celebrated heroine of the sea, one of the most famous figures in Greek history.
May 11th 1771, when her mother, Skevo, visited her dying husband, Stavrianos Pinotsis, who had been imprisoned by the Turks. The arrest and imprisonment of Pinotsis was due to his participation in the Peloponnesian revolution of 1769-70 against the Turks. This revolution, which is known in Greek history as the Orlof revolution, subsequently failed. At this time Spetses island was almost totally destroyed by the Turks for taking part in the uprising.
The year 1811 finds Bouboulina twice widowed and the mother of seven children, but at the same time, extremely rich from the fortunes of ships, land and cash inherited from her husbands. The cash alone which she inherited from Bouboulis, was over 300,000 tallara – Spanish golden sovereigns of those days. She managed not only to keep this fortune intact but also to increase it due to her good management and successful trading. She became partner in several Spetsiot vessels and in time managed to build three of her own. Among these was the famous "Agamemnon", the first and the largest Greek fighting ship of the 1821 War of Independence, whose construction cost Bouboulina 75,000 tallara.
Our famous 'Green Door' house has now become the 'Blue Door' house! On most of the islands in Greece, there are specific... more travel advice
If you are lucky to be in the church when the old icons are being restored, you will be treated to a very special and... more travel advice
- See All Useful Local Telephone numbers
- See All Fresh Fish is This Fish!
- The Best Fish Fry in Spetses
janetanne's Related Pages
Spetses Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Female Freedom Fighter"
- "Calm and picturesque..."
- "In the historical island of Spetses"
- "No quite what I expected."
- "Daytrip to Spetses"
- "Spetses, Greece"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Spetses Island
- Hotels in Spetses Island
- Transportation in Spetses Island
- Nightlife in Spetses Island
- Restaurants in Spetses Island
- Shopping in Spetses Island
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Spetses Island
- 42 Reviews
- 118 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 75 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Spetses Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Spetses Island
- Posted in Travel Istanbul Forum "Re: Nice Hotel or Flat?"
- Wrote a Review Spetses House Facelift in Spetses Island Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Spetses House Facelift"
- Uploaded a Video to Spetses Island
- Commented on one of dimilag's Spetses Island travel pages
- updated a Spetses Island Travelogue "Doors, Windows, Skyscapes"
Photos in Spetses IslandSee All Photos (118)
Videos in Spetses IslandSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spetses Island Intro, 42 reviews, 119 photos, 3 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 34 reviews, 84 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chios Intro, 22 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vouliagmeni Intro, 19 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue
- Windsor Intro, 12 reviews, 51 photos, 2 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 31 reviews, 31 photos
- Prefecture of Attica Intro, 16 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Houghton Lake Intro, 21 reviews, 29 photos
- Anavissos Intro, 10 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sounio Intro, 12 reviews, 32 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (268)
Latest Spetses Island hotel reviews
- Orloff Resort
- 39 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 11, 2013