"Vouliagmeni My Love" Vouliagmeni by janetanne

Vouliagmeni Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 56 photos

The Best Place to Live in Greece

Of Course I'm Prejudice. I live here! I've lived here since 1990, but the first beach I ever swam at in Greece was here in 1978. So, can you blame me for being partial?

Why do I say this is the best place to live? Because of the beach, the sea, the lake, the mountain, the mild climate in the winter, the resort-like atmosphere, the closeness to the centre of Athens, yet the distance from the noise and pollution. Not to mention, the clean streets, the shops and supermarkets that are open 7 days a week and the 3 pharmacies, one of which is always open in the evenings and on Sunday! Oh, and did I mention the fantastic track and field, tennis courts, and last but least of not...THE BEAUTIFUL SPRING FED LAKE, with temperatures never dropping below 18C. even in the winter? An outdoor cinema in the summer, not to be forgotten...and the coffee shops on the seashore, the fish tavernas...more? Yes, there is much more, but I will leave that for you to find out.

Sun, Surf and 'See??'

Ask any young or old Greek male what their favourite thing to do on a hot summer day, and I would be willing to bet that more than 90 percent would agree that 'sight seeing at the beach,' would be their number one pick!

Ask any young, independent but eligible Greek female what she likes to do on a hot summer day, and I wouldn't be surprised if her responce wasn't almost the same: 'watching the muscles go by on the beach!' It seems that this is a universal Greek pastime in the summer. So, where do the Greeks go to body-watch on the beach???

Any public beach will do, but Vouliagmeni Beach, if you already haven't
guessed, is my favourite!

This summer, 2008, I have rediscovered the all new, all modern, all WONDERFUL BEACH at Astir Beach in Vouliagmeni. It may cost more, but you get so much more. Treat yourself one day to this lovely beach. BUT...be sure to get there before 10:30am or you won't find a bed! Even though there are about 1,000 beds on this beach, they are all taken by 11:00am on the weekends in the peak summer months. And, believe it or not, by 2:30pm with the first wave of sunbathers are leaving to go home and have lunch, a second wave of swimmers are coming in and still there are no beds! So, get there early, or get there very late to get a good seat!

What To Do Besides Just Sit There!

With all those 'hot' bodies, it's best not to sit still for too long!

So, what to do? Well, you could take some paddle boards and a ball and play one of the most popular beach-side games. An added plus, is that you get some good exercise...but, if you ask me, the real reason these guys play so much of this 'paddle ball' is so that when they miss the ball, (which is often enough) and the ball conveniently lands on top of a cute babe, (which it often does) it's just a good excuse to meet someone! Isn't that what it's all about anyway?? Let's get together, yeah, yeah yeah!

• Pros:Clean Beaches, Great night spots, Clean roads, Great climate
  • Cons:Not as cheap as other beaches in Attiki
  • In a nutshell:Vouliagmeni my Love
  • Last visit to Vouliagmeni: May 2006
  • Intro Updated Aug 18, 2008

• slothtraveller's Profile Photo
    May 17, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Great page, Janet! The lake and beach look fantastic places to catch a swim.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2010 at 5:34 AM

Hello, Janet! Thank you for your interesting description! ><><><><

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo
    Apr 19, 2010 at 11:52 AM

Jane, just read your tips on Astir Beach. Looks a lot like Malibu, near me. Loizidis Taverna tip made me smack my lips in hunger for Greek dishes. We have Taverna Tony's in Malibu that is superb. Have a great week. Larry

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2010 at 6:04 AM

Great idea to walk along the beach and ask people if you can take pictures of their tattoos! I think I'll try that somewhere next summer.

• DAO's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2010 at 12:41 PM

You can have ours. There is no grit or salt. Roads are dangerous and I own a car park! Shovelling for 8 hours today. Back tomorrow. At least in Michigan they had snow plows. Happy New Year.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jun 5, 2009 at 1:47 PM

What a lovely beach and that sunset photo is very beautiful..hee hee birds and tattoo's an interesting combination:) Nice page Janet!

• Mozumbus's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2009 at 9:18 AM

really informative

• timada's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2008 at 10:43 AM

HI Janet ! Vouliagmeni resort is so nice , your pictures are wonderful !

• kokoryko's Profile Photo
    Oct 6, 2008 at 1:32 PM

Fresh fish and sunset ! Sounds nice; I am not fond of beaches, but I guess Vouliagmeni can be a good starting point to visit Athens instead of staying in the city? Very nice pictures and interesting page Janet!

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2008 at 12:21 PM

Didn't know that there was the Vouliagmeni location in the VT- database (out of Attica prefecture, ha-ha!). Thanks Janet once more for reminding me this wonderful lake and its area... All the best from Moscow!

janetanne Used To Live Here!

janetanne

“He who hesitates is lost”

Badges & Stats in Vouliagmeni

Have you been to Vouliagmeni?

Latest Activity in Vouliagmeni