"EDIPSOS - Natural Mineral Springs" Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Evia by janetanne
Prefecture of Evia Travel Guide: 357 reviews and 1,315 photos
Edipsos is a unique place, blessed by nature, known since ancient times for its healing powers. Edipsos was well known by Aristotle and mentioned in the works of Plutarch and "Strabo. There are natural springs which have been coming up from a depth of 3,000 meters for the last 20,000 years with temperatures at the surface reaching 75 degrees centigrade.
From ancient times, as far back as mythology goes, the history of Edipsos began, completely interrelated with the precious gift nature had bestowed on her. According to mythology Hercules would bathe in the hot waters before each labour in order to relax and regain his strength.
History of the Edipsos Spa - Evia Greece Plutarch enthusiastically refers to the town’s waters and the pleasure they offer. Stravonas also describes the thermal spas of Edipsos mentioning their therapeautical properties with great admiration.
As the town was a popular resort of the Ancient Romans, it was a favourite place of numerous emperors, generals and senators. Amongst them statesmen as important as Emperor Adrien, Marcus Aurelius and Scylla a famous Roman General are only a few of those who bathed in the local springs every year seeking both pleasure and cure.
The beginning of the 20th century marks the Belle Epoque of Edipsos. Its wide reputation and the proven healing properties of the thermal springs, attracted a multitude of affluent citizens, famous artists, writers, film stars and scientists.
Onassis, Churchill, Greta Garbo, Maria Callas and the writer Loudemis all left their mark on the town, proclaiming worldwide the miraculous qualities of its thermal waters.
The original Termai Syllas Spa was built in 1897 and has been visited by such famous people as Aristotle Onassis, Maria Callas, Sir Winston Churchill, Omar Shariff, Greta Garbo and many other V.I.P's (Including myself:):) Today Termae Sylla Spa is a combination of an ultra-modern Spa-resort and a luxurious hotel.
Certainly Thermae Sylla Spa is the highest quality termal spa in Edipsos. The waters are piped throughout this complex, heating not only the waters in the two beautiful pools, but the hotel rooms as well. If you are cold in the winter, there is no possible way you will be cold in this hotel.
Swim in the beautiful hot mineral waters in the indoor pool at Sylla Spa Hotel. The best experience in the cold winter months.
- Pros:Nothing more relaxing
- Cons:Rooms more Expensive than similar quality hotels in Greece and food was a disgrace for a 'Health Spa.'
- In a nutshell:Only 2.5 hours from Athens another World of Wellness.
Thermal Waters - Therapeutic Attributes The therapeutic properties of thermal spring water have been known for... more travel advice
Please take care when you go into the hot spring bathes. The temperature of the water coming directly up from the... more travel advice
janetanne's Related Pages
Prefecture of Evia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Evia Guide"
- "Is Evia an island?"
- "EDIPSOS - Natural Mineral Springs"
- "Our Long Overdue Return To The Island of Evia."
- "Evia island"
- "North Evia"
- "Evia island, just the beauty of landscape"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Prefecture of Evia
- Hotels in Prefecture of Evia
- Transportation in Prefecture of Evia
- Nightlife in Prefecture of Evia
- Restaurants in Prefecture of Evia
- Shopping in Prefecture of Evia
- Warnings and Dangers in Prefecture of Evia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Prefecture of Evia
- 9 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Prefecture of Evia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Prefecture of Evia
- Posted in Travel Greece Forum "Re: Paros or Naxos??"
- Commented on one of greekcypriot's Prefecture of Evia travel pages
- Wrote a Review The Known Attributes of ThermalMineral Water Baths in Prefecture of Evia Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Known Attributes of ThermalMineral Water Baths"
- updated a Prefecture of Evia Travel Page "EDIPSOS - Natural Mineral Springs"
Photos in Prefecture of EviaSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spetses Island Intro, 42 reviews, 119 photos, 3 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 34 reviews, 84 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chios Intro, 22 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vouliagmeni Intro, 19 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue
- Windsor Intro, 12 reviews, 51 photos, 2 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 31 reviews, 31 photos
- Prefecture of Attica Intro, 16 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Houghton Lake Intro, 21 reviews, 29 photos
- Anavissos Intro, 10 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sounio Intro, 12 reviews, 32 photos