"Magnificent Lauterbrunnen" Lauterbrunnen by lamentforicarus
Lauterbrunnen Travel Guide: 262 reviews and 779 photos
With its 72 sparkling waterfalls and jaw-dropping mountain backdrop, Lauterbrunnen Valley is regarded as one of the most beautiful places in Switzerland. Here, winding footpaths stretch across grassy hills and through pine forests, leading hikers to remote mountain villages and stunning alpine panoramas. Lying at the mouth of the valley, the small town of Lauterbrunnen is bursting with charm (and sometimes backpackers in the summer months). The mesmerizing Staubbach Falls cascades from the ridge above, feeding into the crystal blue river meandering through town. The stresses and worries of the real world melt away as the snowcapped peaks of the Eiger, Monch, and Jungfrau come into sight.
Lauterbrunnen’s funicular and railway line make it an idyllic starting point for some of the areas best hikes. Take an early morning train up to Europe’s highest rail station, the Jungfraujoch, for excellent skiing and sledding, or simply marvel at the ice palace. From the funicular station, ride up to Grutscalp for sweeping views and grassy meadows along the path to scenic and traffic-free Murren. Whether you come for the spectacular hiking or a close-to-nature experience, the unspoiled beauty of Lauterbrunnen Valley will make you feel as if you've reached paradise.
- Pros:Glacial waterfalls, wonderful hikes, views of the alps...
- Cons:Can't stay forever
- In a nutshell:Natural Wonderland
When the thick forest clears as your train arrives in beautiful Lauterbrunnen, look out across the town at the... more travel advice
Wake early and take the funicular (adjacent to the Lauterbrunnen TI) to the tiny station in Grutschalp 2000 ft. higher... more travel advice
lamentforicarus' Related Pages
Lauterbrunnen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lauterbrunnen - Switzerland"
- "a great base to explore the Jungfrau-region"
- "Exciting Time in Lauterbrunnen & Jungfrau"
- "HOW CAN YOU NOT LIKE LAUTERBRUNNEN!"
- "Can I Retire Here?"
- "Magnificent Lauterbrunnen"
- "Lovely Little Lauterbrunnen....."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lauterbrunnen
- Hotels in Lauterbrunnen
- Transportation in Lauterbrunnen
- Nightlife in Lauterbrunnen
- Restaurants in Lauterbrunnen
- Shopping in Lauterbrunnen
- Warnings and Dangers in Lauterbrunnen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lauterbrunnen
- 8 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Lauterbrunnen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lauterbrunnen
Photos in LauterbrunnenSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 34 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Esperanza Intro, 11 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 23 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 21 reviews, 26 photos
- Brugge Intro, 20 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Edinburgh Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vernazza Intro, 12 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lauterbrunnen Intro, 8 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sosúa Intro, 6 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Manarola Intro, 6 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
Latest Lauterbrunnen hotel reviews
- Camping Jungfrau
- 86 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Hotel Jungfrau
- 63 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 6, 2013
- Valley Hostel
- 91 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- Hotel Horner
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 10, 2012
- Hotel Crystal
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Hotel Staubbach
- 423 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Schutzenbach Retreat
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 15, 2013
- Hotel Oberland
- 172 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- Hotel Silberhorn
- 175 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 9, 2013
- Chalet Im Rohr
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 2, 2012
- Hotel Restaurant Bahnhof
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 11, 2009
- Hotel Restaurant Schuetzen
- 82 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 28, 2013