"Beautiful Brugge" Brugge by lamentforicarus
Brugge Travel Guide: 2,827 reviews and 7,594 photos
With its old canals, quiet side streets, grand architecture, and tranquil parks, the small Belgian town of Brugge seems as though it has been plucked from a fairly tale land. This remarkably well preserved medieval city owes its ancient grandeur to the Zwin river, which silted up in the 15th century, evaporating its prosperity as a trade center and effectively “freezing” the city in time. Only in the 20th century was the town rediscovered by tourism, reviving it from a four hundred year winter sleep. Now, the city flourishes mainly due to tourism, evidenced by the overabundance of lace and chocolate shops crammed into the city center.
Despite the throngs of visitors, Brugge still retains its ancient beauty and mesmerizing charm. The spires of the Church of Our Lady rise above cheery houses and elegant cafes. Swans glide by on The Lake of Love . The Bagijnhof hides in the shade of its rustling trees, creating a feeling of perfect serenity when walking along small its cobblestone paths. The towering Belfort chimes out Mozart’s tunes every hour over the MARKT , the town’s main square. For an unforgettable look into medieval Belgium, do not miss the opportunity to visit this splendid town. Its bustling squares, art, architecture, and culture make it one of the most exciting places to be in Europe!
- Pros:Wonderful history, extraordinary architecture, quaint charm
- Cons:Well discovered by tourism
- In a nutshell:A fairy tale town
Brugge is an ambler's paradise, littered with beautiful and historic buildings and elegant cafes. While the town has its... more travel advice
A staggering 72 chocolate stores are crammed into Brugge's city center, tempting tourists with a variety of artistic... more travel advice
lamentforicarus' Related Pages
Brugge Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Brugge - The promise of things to come"
- "Bruges Beyond Kitsch"
- "Charming just Charming"
- "Brugge, Venice of the North"
- "Brugge die Schone"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Brugge
- Hotels in Brugge
- Transportation in Brugge
- Nightlife in Brugge
- Restaurants in Brugge
- Shopping in Brugge
- Warnings and Dangers in Brugge
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Brugge
- 20 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Brugge?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Brugge
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 34 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Esperanza Intro, 11 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 23 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 21 reviews, 26 photos
- Brugge Intro, 20 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Edinburgh Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vernazza Intro, 12 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lauterbrunnen Intro, 8 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sosúa Intro, 6 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Manarola Intro, 6 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue