"City of the Renaissance" Florence by lamentforicarus
Florence Travel Guide: 5,287 reviews and 12,074 photos
Coming from the sleepy coastal villages of the Cinque Terre, my first encounter with Florence was nearly overwhelming. From the Santa Maria Novella train station, eager taxi drivers competed for patrons, pushing and yelling and grabbing bags while blurting out instructions to confounded arrivals. Once away from the station, we pushed through the busy streets, choked with pedestrians and emissions from countless vespas. Passing the city's grand and gothic cathedral, the Santa Maria del Fiori, I could see the rivers of human traffic culminating into a sea of tired tourists lounging on marble steps and sharp businessmen weaving through the fray. Speeding away from the square, the frenetic masses of people and cars dissipated, giving way to quite back roads and quiescent courtyards. After checking into the hotel and dropping our backpacks, our exploration of Florence began. Its wealth of interesting markets, museums, churches, and chapels opened my eyes to the grandeur and spender of this city, not just as the birthplace of the Renaissance, but as a flourishing and vibrant cultural gem.
lamentforicarus' Related Pages
Florence Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "FIRENZE - FLORENCE"
- "My Relationship With Firenze"
- "weekends in Florence"
- "Firenze -Florence - Florenz - Florencia"
- "Breathtaking Florence!"
- "Fourth time round....."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Florence
- Hotels in Florence
- Transportation in Florence
- Nightlife in Florence
- Restaurants in Florence
- Shopping in Florence
- Warnings and Dangers in Florence
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Florence
- 23 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Florence?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Florence
Photos in FlorenceSee All Photos (29)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 34 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Esperanza Intro, 11 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 23 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 21 reviews, 26 photos
- Brugge Intro, 20 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Edinburgh Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vernazza Intro, 12 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lauterbrunnen Intro, 8 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sosúa Intro, 6 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Manarola Intro, 6 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue