"City of the Renaissance" Florence by lamentforicarus

Florence Travel Guide: 5,035 reviews and 11,002 photos

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Coming from the sleepy coastal villages of the Cinque Terre, my first encounter with Florence was nearly overwhelming. From the Santa Maria Novella train station, eager taxi drivers competed for patrons, pushing and yelling and grabbing bags while blurting out instructions to confounded arrivals. Once away from the station, we pushed through the busy streets, choked with pedestrians and emissions from countless vespas. Passing the city's grand and gothic cathedral, the Santa Maria del Fiori, I could see the rivers of human traffic culminating into a sea of tired tourists lounging on marble steps and sharp businessmen weaving through the fray. Speeding away from the square, the frenetic masses of people and cars dissipated, giving way to quite back roads and quiescent courtyards. After checking into the hotel and dropping our backpacks, our exploration of Florence began. Its wealth of interesting markets, museums, churches, and chapels opened my eyes to the grandeur and spender of this city, not just as the birthplace of the Renaissance, but as a flourishing and vibrant cultural gem.

• Last visit to Florence: Jun 2004
  • Intro Updated Mar 27, 2005

• CALSF's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2006 at 9:05 PM

Brian, I am thinking of revisiting Florence and if possible some other parts of Tuscany. Yes, dream on... But I hope to make it a reality soon again. Your intro. photo taken from I believe the Piazzale Michelangelo brings back fond memories.

lamentforicarus

“Strange travel suggestions are tap-dancing lessons from God.”

Badges & Stats in Florence

Have you been to Florence?

Latest Activity in Florence