"Dreaming of Oceans and What Lies Beyond" lamentforicarus's Profile
Russia, Ukraine, Poland, Lithuania
Ngorongoro Conservation Area, Tanzania- Coming soon!
Formed from the collapsed crater of an ancient volcano, Ngorongoro is arguably one of the most beautiful and picturesque landscapes on the African continent. Here, herds of wildebeests and zebras graze under the silent watch of towering mountains and patient predators. Elephants stir in the tranquil shrublands, hippos snort and sputter beneath seemingly placid lakes, flocks of flamingos add a magnificent stroke of pink to the horizon, and the rare black rhino occasionally makes an unforgettable appearance to the lucky visitor. During my sojourn to the African continent, I was told that Ngorongoro ranked among the locations not to be missed on a safari tour of East Africa. After staring open-jawed at yawning lions, laughing hyenas, and burping hippos, I fell speechless upon being asked to describe the experience. Ngorongoro is genuine African mystique: a place that cannot be captured in pictures or done justice through words. The treasures of this Tanzanian paradise can be rightly experienced only in person.
Esperanza, Dominican Republic
In July of 2005, I returned from the Dominican Republic, where I volunteered with the Esperanza Orphanage Project. As well as serving the needs of the Buen Samaritano Orphanage, we had the wonderful privilege of learning about and experiencing Dominican culture with the children of this remarkable island nation.
On one of my most memorable days in this nature-lovers' paradise, I completed the spectacular 2 hour hike from Grutschalp to Murren on a winding forest path with the majestic peaks of the Eiger, Monch, and Jungfrau towering above. From there it was an equally scenic 1 hour walk down to the tiny farming village of Gimmelwald, and then a steep, but beautiful, descent down to Stechelburg, crossing many of the valley's 72 glacial waterfalls. Its no wonder Lauterbrunnen means "valley of loud waters."
Cinque Terre, Italy
The Cinque Terre consists of five pastel pretty villages strewn across a spectacular stretch of the Italian Riviera. In my short two day stay in the largest of the Cinque Terre towns, Vernazza, I walked the small paths that snake between terraced hills and a sparkling blue sea, taking in "la dolce vita." I found each village to be different from the next, from the calm cafes and chatty old men of Corniglia, to the bustle of Manarola's main (and only) road. I was hooked on the Cinque Terre by a friend who dazzled me with pictures and stories of his journey while spending a semester of study in Italy, but its extroardinary charm and magnificent setting (did I mention the delicious Italian cuisine?) was only realized when I took the journey for myself.
Sosua, Dominican Republic
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania
Tafi Atome, Ghana
Mole Natl. Park, Ghana
Grand Bassam, Côte d'Ivoire
Personal Pages (1)
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 195 Reviews
- 319 Photos
- 9 Countries
- 18 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
- lamentforicarus and Geisha_Girl are now friends.
updated their Profile Page "Dreaming of Oceans and What Lies Beyond"
- Posted in Travel Moscow Forum "Budget for one week?"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Dreaming of Oceans and What Lies Beyond"
- Commented on Geisha_Girl's profile page
- updated a Esperanza Travel Page "The Children Of Esperanza"
- Wrote a Review Champs Elysées about Champs Elysées in Paris Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 34 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Esperanza Intro, 11 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 23 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 21 reviews, 26 photos
- Brugge Intro, 20 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Edinburgh Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vernazza Intro, 12 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lauterbrunnen Intro, 8 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sosúa Intro, 6 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Manarola Intro, 6 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Hotels
- 22459 Reviews - 54962 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2701 Reviews - 7925 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23315 Reviews - 48908 Photos
- Philadelphia Hotels
- 2093 Reviews - 4054 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15643 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2025 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3092 Reviews - 5855 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 780 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12023 Reviews - 26760 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2058 Reviews - 3874 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7828 Reviews - 20233 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22905 Photos