"Vasai - Formerly Known as Bassien (Bacaim)" Vasai by vinodcia
Vasai Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 26 photos
History of Vasai dates back to Puranic ages. The present day name of Vasai originates from Sanskrit, Sanskrit word "waas" meaning dwelling or residence. The name was changed to Basai by Muslims who occupied Vasai before the Portuguese. The Portuguese named it Baçaim. The Marathas named it Bajipura or Bajipur. The British named it Bassein and today it is called Vasai. Historically, the entire region has attracted traders and merchants from Rome, Greece and Middle East. In 1295 AD the famous Marco Polo visited Thana/Vasai area.
The Portuguese with their naval power and their crusading valor were unquestioned masters of the Indian Ocean. When the Portuguese arrived, Bassein was under the rule of Bahadur Shah, the Sultan of Gujarat. On 23 December 1534, the Sultan of Gujarat, signed a treaty with the Portuguese and ceded Bassein with its dependencies.
In February 1739, Chimaji Appa, the Maratha ruler Bajirao Peshwa’s younger brother, attacked Bassein.After 205 years of uninterrupted Portuguese rule, Bassein was progressively neglected, and the neighboring English Bombay assumed importance in trade and commerce.
This Picture would tell you all! Never ever go inside the fort alone even during the day as this place is a Haven for... more travel advice
vinodcia's Related Pages
Vasai Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Vasai
- 2 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Vasai?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vasai
- Posted in Travel Dar es Salaam Forum "Re: DAR ES SALAAM AIRPORT"
- Wrote a Review Never Venture out Alone!(For Women and Couples) in Vasai Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "Never Venture out Alone!(For Women and Couples)"
- updated a Vasai Travel Page "Vasai - Formerly Known as Bassien (Bacaim)"
Top 5 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Goa Intro, 44 reviews, 74 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Union Territory of Lakshadweep Intro, 7 reviews, 49 photos, 5 travelogues
- Anjuna Intro, 17 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vasai Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos
- Mumbai 2 reviews