"Bad Toelz, I miss living there..." Bad Tölz by alfromcolorado

Bad Tölz Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 61 photos

Bad Toelz... I left there in September of 1991 and it was the nicest place I have ever lived. Bad Toelz has a special place in the heart for any Special Forces soldier that has been stationed there. Almost legendary.

The quiet town, the foothills of the Alps, the green forests and little green farms... The little Bavarian villages. Who wouldn't love this place?

In November 2002 I drove through there, as I had done many times since the closing of Flint Kaserne (Kaserne is the German word for military post). For many years the quadrangle had stayed the same, if somewhat empty. Now it was changed. Some city offices were there, some shops, and to my surprise a Gasthaus (inn) named Gasthaus zur Flintkaserne-The Flint Kaserne Inn!!!

I couldn't resist. I went in for a beer, even though I was due to meet some friends down in Garmisch-Partenkirchen.

It was a very nice inn, comfortable atmosphere, as so many in Germany are. And of course they had Hefeweiss beer. So I ordered one and began talking with the waitress. She was younger and hadn't really known much about Flint Kaserne when we were there.

But it was so nice to have a beer again sitting in Flint Kaserne...

It had been a long time...

• Last visit to Bad Tölz: Nov 2002
  • Intro Updated Jun 28, 2004

• rdywenur's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2004 at 5:52 PM

Ciao and Welcome to VT. I enjoyed the photo you have posted of Bad Toelz. Hope to see more. Enjoy your trip. :)

alfromcolorado

“A bad day of skiing is better than a good day of work”

Ranked Member

Badges & Stats in Bad Tölz

Have you been to Bad Tölz?

Latest Activity in Bad Tölz