"My life of travel" BillGlo's Profile

Welcome to my home page.

As my motto goes, I have been traveling since I was in diapers.

It all started back in the mid 1950s. My father, mother,2 sisters and I would vacation every summer. The journeys always started in Queens, N.Y. where we lived. ( later we moved to Long Island).

Traveling in the 50's and 60's was not as common as it is now. Back then we would post signs on our rear bumper stating "Grand Canyon or bust". People towing trailers would beep their horn in recognition of each other. If you noticed a car bearing plates from the same state, everyone would wave.

We originally started with tents only . My mother would write articles about our journeys. She submitted them along with her photographs to magazines such as "Trailer Life".

The money she made helped buy more camping equipment.

Over the years we graduated into various trailers and eventually owned an "Open Road"camper.
I still remember lying in the bed above the truck cab, and watching the world go by with the hood of the vehicle and endless miles of road underneath me.

When I grew up, I served in the Coast Guard for 4 years and the Air Force for 16. That's when I started traveling overseas.

I now travel (once again) every summer ; now with my wife who also shares the love for traveling.

At the age of 48, I have been to 4 continents, 12 countries, 42 states and have lived at 34 addresses within 9 different states and 4 countries.

I believe that there is a world of difference between a traveler and a tourist.

When I travel, I like to stay at the locals houses, eat the local food, and use local transportation (when possible).

Traveling is experiencing, not just seeing.

Happy travels!!

• Intro Updated Jul 23, 2004

• mikehanneman's Profile Photo
    Jun 6, 2008 at 10:22 AM

Have a great birthday! Mike in Iowa!

• happymom8285's Profile Photo
    Jul 27, 2004 at 7:06 PM

Thanks for your insight. There IS a distinction between tourist and one who experiences the culture! I grew up in Rockville. G-burg was a favorite haunt. I hate being just a "tourist"!

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo
    Jul 14, 2004 at 10:46 AM

Now we are gonne press you for showing us those scanned pictures! PJ

• Anthro's Profile Photo
    Jul 14, 2004 at 9:11 AM

Interesting travel stories growing up. They must have formed great memories for you.

• shintarojon's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2004 at 6:22 PM

Mabuhay! Greetings from 7,107 Islands (during low tide & 7,106 Islands during high tide) Philippines!! Thanks for the e-mail u sent! Maraming salamat po!

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!

BillGlo

“"I've been traveling since I was in diapers- and God willing, I'm not going to stop now"”

Ranked Member