"The Heart Is Highland (... and Lowland)" Scotland by RhineRoll
Scotland Travel Guide: 12,256 reviews and 26,491 photos
Most of my recent travels have gone to Scotland. For German standards, it's a fairly small country, but there's no shortage whatsoever of interesting places to visit and great people to meet.
Edinburgh and Glasgow are two very different cities, each one of them equally worth visiting.
The Highlands are one of the few places in Europe, where one can experience the insignificance of human presence against the vastness of Nature. Nevertheless, the Highlands prove to be surprisingly accessible, also for visitors with disabilities.
Being interested in Gaelic culture, the Western Highlands and Islands are my favorite destination, but I think there's no disagreement in that they also are the most beautiful parts of Scotland.
The Isle of Skye in particular is difficult to beat in terms of natural sights. Unfortunately, Skye has become a popular tourist destination and during the summer months, things are starting to become annoying. As a wheelchair user, I depend on a minimum of infrastructure, so there's no real chance for me to avoid the crowds. For more Info on Skye and the Hebridean Island of South Uist, please feel free to visit my respective pages.
While the Lowland Belt can be visited at any time of year, my recommendation for visiting the Highlands would be to visit outside of the summer holiday period.
Enough said -- feel free to visit my Scotland-related pages including my travelogues!
A bheil Gàidhlig agaibh? Tha mise beagan agam, tha mi ag ionnsachadh airson tri bliadhna. S'e canan uabhasach breagha a th' ann agus is toigh leam gu mor ga h-ionnsachadh!
- Pros:world class cities and wilderness within a short distance, Gaelic legacy and culture
- Cons:Expensive place -- budget tourists have a hard time!
- In a nutshell:Visit!
well, you have already heard about the Scottish weather, haven't you? I'd just like to add a few things. Within... more travel advice
Were it not that remote, Skye would no doubt rank among the top European tourist destinations. The biggest island of the... more travel advice
Written May 2, 2004
Skye & Wester Ross 2001
Written May 1, 2004
Lowlands & Hebrides, 2003
RhineRoll's Related Pages
Scotland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Scotland For The Brave"
- "Scotland Travel Tips - Scotland Edinburgh Orkney"
- "My Scotland page"
- "Alba, Caledonia, "God's Country"; this is Scotland"
- "Scotland: fascinating and impressive"
- "Ben-UK's Scotland page"
- "Scotland, a sassenach's view"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Scotland
- Hotels in Scotland
- Transportation in Scotland
- Nightlife in Scotland
- Restaurants in Scotland
- Shopping in Scotland
- Warnings and Dangers in Scotland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Scotland
- 60 Reviews
- 105 Photos
- 131 Forum posts
- 8 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Scotland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Scotland
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 43 reviews, 95 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 29 reviews, 53 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bonn Intro, 31 reviews, 29 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isle of Skye Intro, 24 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Budapest Intro, 18 reviews, 36 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Achill Island Intro, 15 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- South Uist Intro, 16 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tel Aviv-Yafo Intro, 10 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bad Neuenahr-Ahrweiler Intro, 11 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues
- Remagen Intro, 11 reviews, 20 photos
Top Scotland hotels
- Glasgow Hotels
- 1218 Reviews - 1967 Photos
- Edinburgh Hotels
- 3356 Reviews - 6585 Photos
- Aberdeen Hotels
- 486 Reviews - 884 Photos
- Ayr Hotels
- 157 Reviews - 244 Photos
- Oban Hotels
- 168 Reviews - 312 Photos
- Inverness Hotels
- 329 Reviews - 731 Photos
- Perth Hotels
- 110 Reviews - 170 Photos
- Fort William Hotels
- 207 Reviews - 372 Photos
- Aviemore Hotels
- 46 Reviews - 77 Photos
- Stirling Hotels
- 243 Reviews - 726 Photos
- Kingussie Hotels
- 17 Hotels
- Peebles Hotels
- 16 Hotels
- Dunfermline Hotels
- 98 Reviews - 186 Photos
- Strathpeffer Hotels
- 8 Hotels
- Stornoway Hotels
- 53 Reviews - 73 Photos