"Becoming a Highland Resort" Gairloch by RhineRoll
Gairloch Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 35 photos
Once little more than clutters of cottages strung out along the shores of Loch Gairloch, the village today is more and more turning into a popular resort. There are good reasons for this: Gairloch has a decent tourist infrastructure, including several hotels, numerous b&bs, a golf course, a holiday centre, nice beaches and a wonderful moutain backdrop (the Torridons).
Rua Rei -- Rubha Reidh -- several other spellings are used -- is a really exponated spot sticking out towards Skye and the Western Isles like a stretched finger. Wonderful walking here. The lighthouse has been turned into a well-known outdoor activity centre including a nice tearoom with great home-baked scones on offer :-)
The road from Gairloch to Poolewe leads acrouss high ground with gorgeous views towards the first outposts of the Torridon mountains.
- Pros:Nice Beach, great backdrop, good views over to Skye
- Cons:Midges in Summer
- In a nutshell:Come in May -- No Need To Run Away :-)
Redpoint is as far as you can go by car from Gairloch. If you continue on foot along the shoreline, you'll eventually... more travel advice
RhineRoll's Related Pages
Gairloch Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Becoming a Highland Resort"
- "Gairloch and Up To Rhuba Reidh"
- "I wanna marry a lighthouse keeper...."
- "Gairloch _ Wester Ross _ Highlands _ Scotland"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gairloch
- 2 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Gairloch?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gairloch
Photos in GairlochSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 43 reviews, 95 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 29 reviews, 53 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bonn Intro, 31 reviews, 29 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isle of Skye Intro, 24 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Budapest Intro, 18 reviews, 36 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Achill Island Intro, 15 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- South Uist Intro, 16 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tel Aviv-Yafo Intro, 10 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bad Neuenahr-Ahrweiler Intro, 11 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues
- Remagen Intro, 11 reviews, 20 photos