"An t-Eilean -- The Island" Top 5 Page for this destination Isle of Skye by RhineRoll
Isle of Skye Travel Guide: 447 reviews and 904 photos
many a night of them I fancied
the great ocean itself restless,
agitated with love of you
as you lay on the sea,
great beautiful bird of Scotland,
your supremely beautiful wings bent
about many-nooked Loch Bracadale,
your beautiful wings prostrate on the sea
from the Wild Stallion to the Aird of Sleat,
your joyous wings spread
about Loch Snizort and the world
from Sorley MacLean's poem "An t-eilean"
The Isle of Skye will take your breath away. It is the largest and best developed island in the Hebridean archipelago. If you were a Gaelic speaker from the Isle of Skye -- "An t-eilean Sgiathanach" and somebody asked you where you are from -- "Co as a tha sibh?" -- You'd simply answer: "Tha mi as an eilean" -- I am from the island. And everybody will know that you are from the Isle of Skye. Go figure!
Despite the fact that there still are some Gaelic speaking villages and areas, the Skye of today is run by incoming people, the so-called "white settlers". Portree, the islands "capital", is quite a busy little town with a wonderful harbour and a charming atmosphere -- as long as it isn't overrun by tourists. This happens especially in July and August, on a Saturday morning or generally when the weather is bad and people come from all directions heading for the pubs and restaurants.
Another famous part of Skye is the Trotternish peninsula just north of Portree. The landscape is spectacular and in a way almost other-worldly. The picture was taken from the small road between Staffin and Uig, traversing the Trotternish range. There's a parking lot on the road's highest point that's very popular with hikers and sightseers. When I visited in July 2003, there were cars all over the place and it took me 20 minutes to find a place to park my car and get out.
Most of Skye's coastline is rugged and rocky. The pic shows a famous spot -- Mealt Falls and Kilt Rock which produces a howling sound when the wind blows along the rocky ridges.
Please don't confuse Mealt Falls with Lealt Falls, even though they are not really far apart.
- Pros:Incredible Scenery, nice white-washed villages
- Cons:Expensive, mass tourism destination in July and August, Midges
- In a nutshell:Don't come when everybody else does!
Broadford or "An t-Ath Leathann" -- the broad ford -- is Skye's second settlement after Portree and is growing into a... more travel advice
Sleat (Gaelic: Sl?ite) is the southernmost peninsula of Skye and probably derives its nickname "Garden of Skye" from the... more travel advice
- See All Moving to Skye Permanently? NO Thank...
- Essential Things for Successful Island...
- Great Pub with a Gaelic Theme
RhineRoll's Related Pages
Isle of Skye Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Flaite do'n Eilean Sgitheanach"
- "ISLE of SKYE"
- "An t-Eilean -- The Island"
- "Isle of Skye Travel Tips - Scotland Travel Secrets"
- "Over The Sea To Skye"
- "The Skye legend"
- "Magical Isle of Skye"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Isle of Skye
- Hotels in Isle of Skye
- Transportation in Isle of Skye
- Nightlife in Isle of Skye
- Restaurants in Isle of Skye
- Shopping in Isle of Skye
- Warnings and Dangers in Isle of Skye
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Isle of Skye
- 24 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 26 Forum posts
- 43 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Isle of Skye?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Isle of Skye
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Anyone heard from RhineRoll?"
- Commented on one of LesHamilton's Isle of Skye travel pages
- Wrote a Review Moving to Skye Permanently? NO Thank You! in Isle of Skye Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "Where The Cuillin Becomes an Ampitheatre"
- updated a Isle of Skye Travel Page "An t-Eilean -- The Island"
Photos in Isle of SkyeSee All Photos (30)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 43 reviews, 95 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 29 reviews, 53 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bonn Intro, 31 reviews, 29 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isle of Skye Intro, 24 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Budapest Intro, 18 reviews, 36 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Achill Island Intro, 15 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- South Uist Intro, 16 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tel Aviv-Yafo Intro, 10 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bad Neuenahr-Ahrweiler Intro, 11 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues
- Remagen Intro, 11 reviews, 20 photos