"Ballina, Queen of the Moy Valley" Ballina by RhineRoll
Ballina Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 41 photos
Having been to Ballina for a couple of hours only, I don't think I'm really qualified for any specific comment on this town.
Ballina's main attractions seems to be its setting in the Moy Valley and the river Moy itself which is famous for salmon fishing. Apart from that, my impression is that Ballina is a quiet and quite authentic Irish county town bordering the more remote areas of North West Mayo. It is supposed to be the largest town in Mayo, but Castlebar feels bigger and busier.
When pronouncing Ballina, put the accent on the last syllable -- BallinA -- the name is phonetically derived from Gaelic "Beal an Atha" and when you speak that , it is quite natural that the last syllable dominates the expression.
Further down the Moy, Killala is supposed to be a beauty spot and the CeideFields archeological site isn't too far away either.
I came to Ballina with the specific goal to visit Leigue Cemetery -- you can read the story in my travel tip.
- Pros:Nice Setting in the Moy Valley, authentic place, important for the rural and deserted hinterland
- Cons:a bit sleepy
- In a nutshell:if you're not into Salmon Fishing, not a prime attraction
RhineRoll's Related Pages
Ballina Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Ballina
- 1 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Ballina?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ballina
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 43 reviews, 95 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 29 reviews, 53 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bonn Intro, 31 reviews, 29 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isle of Skye Intro, 24 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Budapest Intro, 18 reviews, 36 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Achill Island Intro, 15 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- South Uist Intro, 16 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tel Aviv-Yafo Intro, 10 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bad Neuenahr-Ahrweiler Intro, 11 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues
- Remagen Intro, 11 reviews, 20 photos