"From a Sleepy Market Town To Boomtown Rhineland?" Siegburg by RhineRoll
Siegburg Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 13 photos
People have always come to Siegburg in order to do business. That hasn't changed until today -- actually Siegburg is a bit of a secret shopping tip for the Cologne/Bonn area, because prices here are cheaper than in the larger cities. Siegburg itself has around 60,000 inhabitants which makes it a pretty decently sized city.
The city's landmark is the Michaelsberg monastery, a large complex situated on a craggy plateau. The monastery is partly open to the public, it is being used by the Catholic church as a seminar facility.
Instead of Bonn, which is 10 km off the straight line, Siegburg was chosen as a stop of the new ICE super high speed connection between Cologne and Frankfurt. It is possible to reach Frankfurt International Airport from here in less than 40 minues, even though it is more than 100 km away. With the Rhineland more and more becoming a conurbation zone, it looks like Siegburg could become the new boomtown.
The pedestrian zone and inner city is right at the bottom of the hill.
This craggy outcrop in the middle of the city is also responsible for the often difficult traffic situation in Siegburg. Avoid driving in the city between 4 and 5 PM; it gets terribly congested.
The new ICE railway station barely opened, the benefits are already visible: The city center is seeing some pretty ambitious development projects.
2003 was a very good year for observing the Northern Lights. A couple of solar storms had such a high output that the Aurora Borealis was visible as far south as.... Siegburg!!!
The yellowish illuminated thing at the bottom of the picture is the Michaelsberg monastery -- pic taken out of my office room.
- Pros:Good shopping, nice views to/from Michaelsberg Hill and Monastery
- Cons:Often terrible traffic jams in the inner city due to stupid street layout
- In a nutshell:A nice place to live and shop
RhineRoll's Related Pages
Siegburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "From a Sleepy Market Town To Boomtown Rhineland?"
- "Mittelalterlicher Markt"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Siegburg
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Siegburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Siegburg
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Anyone heard from RhineRoll?"
- Commented on one of JWilcz's Siegburg travel pages
- Wrote a Review Remembering the Nazi Victims in Siegburg Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Remembering the Nazi Victims"
- updated a Siegburg Travel Page "From a Sleepy Market Town To Boomtown Rhineland?"
Photos in SiegburgSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 43 reviews, 95 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 29 reviews, 53 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bonn Intro, 31 reviews, 29 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isle of Skye Intro, 24 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Budapest Intro, 18 reviews, 36 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Achill Island Intro, 15 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- South Uist Intro, 16 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tel Aviv-Yafo Intro, 10 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bad Neuenahr-Ahrweiler Intro, 11 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues
- Remagen Intro, 11 reviews, 20 photos