"Gateway To The Good Stuff" Top 5 Page for this destination Bad Neuenahr-Ahrweiler by RhineRoll
Bad Neuenahr-Ahrweiler Travel Guide: 64 reviews and 233 photos
Whenever you see the term "Bad" appear in the name of a German town, this indicates that the place is an officially recognized health resort. Such is certainly the case for Bad Neuenahr, which also has a pedestrian zone and shopping district. IMO the much nicer part of this county-seat town is Ahrweiler. While Bad Neuenahr is the resort with a spa, gardens and open-air classical concerts, Ahrweiler is a wonderfully charming place with a historic old town featuring a pedestrian zone of its own and lots of small nice shops, cafes and restaurants. Of course, many shops sell the wonderful (but quite expensive) Ahr wine -- see my specific shopping tip.
Bad Neuenahr-Ahrweiler is located in the very West of Germany, approximately 30 kms south-west of Bonn. There exists a regular train service, the "Ahr-Express" from Bonn and Remagen in the Rhine-Valley.
Bad Neuenahr-Ahrweiler is the biggest city in Ahrweiler county and also the gateway to the valley of the Ahr. Being still fairly wide where it gives shelter to the city, it becomes extremely narrow and craggy further upstream. This is also where the valley's main vintners villages are located and where most of the tourists will go in late summer. The last real tourist place is Altenahr, about 15 km from AW. The valley continues further till the Eifel town of Blankenheim, again changing its character as it flows through wonderful natural mountain meadows teeming with wildflowers in spring.
The Ahr is by no means just about wine -- as a matter of fact the valley offers a whole range of high quality products and services.
Well known villages in the valley include (sorted by distance from Ahrweiler)
Altenahr is also within very easy reach from Bonn, because the A 565 Autobahn covers a large part of the distance (30 km).
Staying in AW will also give you excellent access to the wider region -- the southwestern corner of the Eifel region between the Rhine and Moselle rivers.
The Ahr concludes its rather short but all the more spectacular river life by flowing into the Rhine near Kripp. This is actually the only all-natural river mouth in the entire Rhine valley all the way to Lake Constance -- which tells you what a built up area it is generally.
- Pros:Very Nice Destination
- Cons:In October (grape harvest) lots of tourists
- In a nutshell:one of the many wonderful, but internationally disregarded places in Germany
This is an excellent shop because it has a very broad selection of wine from the most important winegrowers in the... more travel advice
There are only 3 towns in Germany whose mediaevel walls are preserved in their entirety. The most famous one no doubt is... more travel advice
Written May 30, 2004
Late Spring Daytrip to Ahrweiler
Written Oct 13, 2008
Win's Personal Wine Guide
RhineRoll's Related Pages
Bad Neuenahr-Ahrweiler Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ahr Valley: Wine and Thermal Springs"
- "Gateway To The Good Stuff"
- "Bad Neuenahr-Ahrweiler"
- "Welcome to Ahr Valley"
- "Wine Tasting in Bad Neuenahr"
- "Bad Neuenahr-Ahrweiler"
- "The Higher Road?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bad Neuenahr-Ahrweiler
- Transportation in Bad Neuenahr-Ahrweiler
- Restaurants in Bad Neuenahr-Ahrweiler
- Shopping in Bad Neuenahr-Ahrweiler
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bad Neuenahr-Ahrweiler
- 11 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 22 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Bad Neuenahr-Ahrweiler?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bad Neuenahr-Ahrweiler
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: German train strike and how..."
- updated a Bad Neuenahr-Ahrweiler Travelogue "Win's Personal Wine Guide"
- Commented on one of Kathrin_E's Bad Neuenahr-Ahrweiler travel pages
- Wrote a Review Solid Balkan BBQ Fare in Bad Neuenahr-Ahrweiler Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Best Selection of Ahr Wines"
Photos in Bad Neuenahr-AhrweilerSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 43 reviews, 95 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 29 reviews, 53 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bonn Intro, 31 reviews, 29 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isle of Skye Intro, 24 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Budapest Intro, 18 reviews, 36 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Achill Island Intro, 15 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- South Uist Intro, 16 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tel Aviv-Yafo Intro, 10 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bad Neuenahr-Ahrweiler Intro, 11 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues
- Remagen Intro, 11 reviews, 20 photos