"Germany's "Federal City"" Top 5 Page for this destination Bonn by RhineRoll
Bonn Travel Guide: 267 reviews and 872 photos
After our re-unification, Bonn lost the Capital title to Berlin, but there still are many branches of Federal Ministries and Federal agencies residing in the city.
And, of course, Bonn continues to be what it always has been: a nice bourgeois, somewhat sleepy city on the River Rhine, right where it exits the German hills and continues to flow through the Northern European plains towards the North Sea.
Bonn's new landmark, the Post Tower, owned by the German ex-Federal postal service . As far as I know, it's the only real skyscraper in Germany outside of Frankfurt. It was completed after 9/11, maybe that's why it was decided not to have a public viewing platform on the top of it :-( Anyway, I think this is a very good example of what you can expect from these still-monopoly state firms and their attitude towards their owners/customers -- the taxpaying, stamp-buying citizens of Germany. Abandon the monopoly on letters and get some competition in.
North of Bonn all the way to the Netherlands and eventually the North Sea, the Rhine flows through flat terrain. This does not mean, however, that it is a boring region. To the contrary: the middle/northern European marsh landscapes have a beauty of their own, and it is here just north of Bonn, that you can get a hint of this. Picture was taken on a gorgeous June evening shortly before sunset.
- Pros:Large enough to offer everything, small enough not to get lost
- Cons:Not really cosmopolitan anymore
- In a nutshell:A nice, safe city with good infrastructure
Bonn's inner city has a pretty decent singposting leading you to all major spots. Sadly, this is not the standard in... more travel advice
Located on Bonn-Oberkassel's Rhine promenade in a wonderful conversion building, this fairly new establishment has... more travel advice
RhineRoll's Related Pages
Bonn Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Germany's "Federal City""
- "Opera in Bonn"
- "Welcome to the former Capital city Bonn"
- "Former capital in search of new identity"
- "Wineroll comes to Bonn"
- "Former capital city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bonn
- Hotels in Bonn
- Transportation in Bonn
- Nightlife in Bonn
- Restaurants in Bonn
- Shopping in Bonn
- Warnings and Dangers in Bonn
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bonn
- 31 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 77 Forum posts
- 23 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Bonn?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bonn
Photos in BonnSee All Photos (33)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 43 reviews, 95 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 29 reviews, 53 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bonn Intro, 31 reviews, 29 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isle of Skye Intro, 24 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Budapest Intro, 18 reviews, 36 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Achill Island Intro, 15 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- South Uist Intro, 16 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tel Aviv-Yafo Intro, 10 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bad Neuenahr-Ahrweiler Intro, 11 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues
- Remagen Intro, 11 reviews, 20 photos