"Zons/Dormagen VT Meeting Sunday 27th February" Dormagen by RhineRoll
Dormagen Travel Guide: 39 reviews and 84 photos
The main purpose of this page is to give information to all those who want to attend the VT-Meeting.
This is the general plan:
We will meet in Zons at the Rheintor Gate at 14:30. Then, we will walk through the small and cosy walled town and make a big loop through the Rhine meadows along the river and back to the gate where there also is a large parking lot.
Parts of the walking route are quite exposed to the weather, and it might get muddy at places -- please bring adequate clothing. If the weather gets too bad, there are ample opportunities in Zons to find a nice cafe.
Around 5 PM we will drive to nearby Knechtsteden, where Sabsi has reserved a table for us at the Pfannkuchenscheune ("Pancake Barn"). Unless we are suprised by lots of people who didn't sign in before, it will not be a problem for those arriving without a car to get a lift. It won't be a problem either to take you to Cologne or Düsseldorf train stations afterwards.
For specific questions, please write me an email or make a posting in the Dormagen forum.
As you can see, Zons is about 20kms north of Cologne. Düsseldorf is about the same distance in the north.
If you come from the direction of Düsseldorf, it might be best to take the ferry. Get to the A 59 Autobahn, take the exit "Richrath" (Nr. 24) and head towards Monheim. Stay on the road, continue all the way through Baumberg towards Urdenbach. The ferry should be signposted.
People coming from the left bank of the Rhine should take the A 57 and get off at Dormagen exit (Nr. 25). Zons is signposted from there.
In Zons, sings will lead you to the parking lot at the Rheintor. You can't miss it.
Dormagen does have a railway station, and there might be a bus running to Zons, but if you intend to come by public transportation, drop a note in the Dormagen forum; someone of us might be able to pick you up in Düsseldorf or Cologne.
This is the Rheintor. You really can't miss it. There is a parking lot right before it. It might fill up on a nice Sunday as there are more than 2 Million people living within a 50 km perimeter, and it's not exactly unpopular to head out to a lovely spot on a Sunday afternoon! But there are more large parking lots within a 200m distance, so I don't think finding parking will be a problem, at all.
The ferry slipway is very close, you will be able to see the gate as you leave from it.
RhineRoll's Related Pages
Dormagen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Dormagen / Zons – Medieval Customs Town"
- "A Zons Page again"
- "Medieval Zons"
- "Zons/Dormagen VT Meeting Sunday 27th February"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dormagen
- Transportation in Dormagen
- Restaurants in Dormagen
- Shopping in Dormagen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dormagen
- 0 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 37 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Dormagen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dormagen
Photos in DormagenSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 43 reviews, 95 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 29 reviews, 53 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bonn Intro, 31 reviews, 29 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isle of Skye Intro, 24 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Budapest Intro, 18 reviews, 36 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Achill Island Intro, 15 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- South Uist Intro, 16 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tel Aviv-Yafo Intro, 10 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bad Neuenahr-Ahrweiler Intro, 11 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues
- Remagen Intro, 11 reviews, 20 photos