"The World, viewed from a Rhineland Perspective" RhineRoll's Profile
.... auf meiner VT-Homepage! Deutsch ist meine Muttersprache, und natürlich schreibe ich ab und zu auch mal auf Deutsch, auch wenn Englisch hier auf dieser internationalen Seite der Vorrang gebührt!
.....til Wins hjemmeside på VT! Jeg er meget glad for at kunne skrive og tale lidt dansk -- jeg lærte sproget da jeg var udvekslingsstudent på Aarhus Universitet i 1996 og jeg havde et rigtigt godt ophold! Selvom Engelsk er "lingua franca" her på VT, er du dog altid velkommen til at skrive til mig på dansk!
...... gun duilleag dhachaidh agam air VT! De tha seo? S'e canan Gàidhlig a th'ann! S'e canan uabhasach brèagha a th' anns a Ghàidhlig, ach chan eil moran daoine air ais a bruidhinn Gàidhlig fíleanta -- sin glè glè dhuilich! Tha mise ag ionnsachadh Gàidhlig an seo -- tha sgoil Ghàidhlig beag againne ann am Bonn. Bidh sinn a'dol gu clàs Gàidhlig an seo aon feasgar 's a seachdainn agus bidh sinn a' siubhal gu Alba aon turas gach blìadhna cuideachd!
I will always insist the world is a beautiful place, despite all the problems and disasters that occur and that we certainly shouldn't look away from.
A lawyer working for an agency of the Federal Interior Ministry, I've been living in the Rhineland for 2 years now. One good thing about living in such a heavily urbanized area is the excellent choice of means of communications -- Cologne International airport only being a 15 minutes drive away from my front door.
Since an accident in 1988, I'm confined to a wheelchair, which sometimes makes travelling quite adventurous -- even to destinations that normally are not so terrifying!
Besides travelling, I'm very much into playing wheelchair basketball. I also like learning languages -- believe it or not, I'm attending a Scottish Gaelic class once a week here in Bonn, Germany !
I know there are different concepts out there in the world about declaring someone a friend, and I also know that Germans, especially from the Northern parts, might be a bit restrictive on this. I don't want to be rude or hurt anyone, but, if you add me to your list before even having talked to me once, please don't expect me to add you as well. Chances are, I won't, because it's plain impolite. Apart from that, there are quite a few people here who I really like to communicate with and who I've thoroughly enjoyed to meet personally who aren't up on my list, so the whole thing is not really that important after all. Just don't be rude to me! *
The destinations I've so far been to show a clear preference for the Western Hemisphere and a strong desire to avoid the "Teutonic Grills" (that's a German nickname for the overcroded mass tourism resorts on the Mediterranean) The places themselves are probably quite nice, but large hordes of ignorant tourists will spoil anything!!!
My favourite places are the British Isles (England, Ireland including Northern Ireland , Scotland) which I regularly visit. My "philosophy" is rather to get to know a place well than trying to stuff everything into a short period of time.
I feel that there's not enough information out there for the particular needs of disabled tourists so most of my tips will include such information.
I live in a small town called Remagen. Remagen is situated in the Rhine valley just south of Bonn, the capital of former West Germany. I am fortunate to live only a short train or car ride away from some of the most beautiful areas in Europe -- the middle Rhine and Mosel valleys. A bit further afield, but still easily reached, are the big cities of Cologne and Düsseldorf. One hour by car takes me either to Germany's borders with the Low Countries or Germany's financial hub Frankfurt/Main. Not too bad a location, I'd say :))
Personal Pages (1)
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 434 Reviews
- 835 Photos
- 13 Countries
- 76 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
- Uploaded a Photo to "Capercaillie does a free open air gig!"
- RhineRoll and EasyMalc are now friends.
- Commented on CatherineReichardt's profile page
updated their Profile Page "The World, viewed from a Rhineland Perspective"
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Anyone heard from RhineRoll?"
- Wrote a Review Individually Owned Budget Hotel in Berlin Hotels
- created a Vienna Travelogue "The Lights of Vienna"
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 43 reviews, 95 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 29 reviews, 53 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bonn Intro, 31 reviews, 29 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isle of Skye Intro, 24 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Budapest Intro, 18 reviews, 36 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Achill Island Intro, 15 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- South Uist Intro, 16 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tel Aviv-Yafo Intro, 10 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bad Neuenahr-Ahrweiler Intro, 11 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues
- Remagen Intro, 11 reviews, 20 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22479 Reviews - 55020 Photos
- Fort Lauderdale Hotels
- 659 Reviews - 1389 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2702 Reviews - 7926 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23320 Reviews - 48909 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15643 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2028 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3098 Reviews - 5880 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 780 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2058 Reviews - 3874 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12024 Reviews - 26762 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22905 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7829 Reviews - 20234 Photos