"Qatar" Top 5 Page for this destination Qatar by ChristinaC

Qatar Travel Guide: 783 reviews and 2,300 photos

Once seen, never forgotten...

"Qatar... Once seen, never forgotten"
Isnt that what they say in the tourist commercials for Qatar? And for me that is as true as it can be!
After my first time to this desert country in 2004, I have returned every year, and sometimes twice a year. Something inside of me just draws me back to Qatar!

But what is so special about this country? why do I keep coming back, when most people that has been there and lives there says it's so damn boring?

First of all they got some of the most amazing arabian horses in the world!
But besides that the whole atomospher, it is so relaxed.
The desert is so beautiful, and perfect for a BBQ :)
And last but suddenly not least! The people. I never in my life met so many friendly and helpful people as I have done in Qatar! You always feel welcome, almost like you have lived their your whole life...

Doha is a lovely city, with a mix of western and arabic culture and architecture, and are really worth a visit! Though it might not be the cheapest place to travel.

Why I went to Qatar the first time...

.... was mainly to see the International Arabian Horse Show in Februray 2004 (I could travel to Qatar again and again just to get a sight of these wonderful desert creatures :))
But of course I was also there to see the country, which have one of the most beautiful deserts...!

Before I went there, everyone was telling me what a boring country Qatar was, that there was nothing to do, and nothing to see, and it was dagerous to be there because of the war in Iraq. But they were wrong, I fell totally in love with this little desert country, the people, and their hospitality (and the horses). It is just a beautiful charming country!

The weather was great in February, not too hot and not too cold, even though I had to wear my jacket some of the days, because it was very windy!

The changes...

Since my first visit in 2004 and until now (2007) so many changes has been going on in Doha. After just a year away from Qatar I could hardly recognize it. New buildings pops up everywhere, the whole Corniche/West bay area has changed dramatical, with new hotels and skyscrapers. New malls are getting build, and they are working 24/7 on the Pearl, where you can see the first buildings coming up...

I have no plans on going back to qatar just yet, and think I will wait maybe a few years. There are simply too much construction going on at the moment...

• Pros:Nice weather in the winter, beautiful desert, great horses, wonderful people
  • Cons:Too hot in the summer, alot of construction going on
  • In a nutshell:The gem of the Gulf
  • Last visit to Qatar: Feb 2007
  • Intro Updated Jul 24, 2007

• bdenehan's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2009 at 1:08 AM

I think Qatar is like Marmite, some love it, some hate it! Nice to see someone from the "love it" side.

• frankcanfly's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2006 at 3:15 PM

I completely agree with your opinions about Qatar..... It's such a beautiful and friendly place!!

• HarleyGuy58's Profile Photo
    Apr 22, 2005 at 5:46 AM

Thanks for sharing. I'm heading there for a few days and am looking forward to it thanks to your comments... JB

• masc4s's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2005 at 11:12 AM

An interesting review of Qatar's equestrian activites. Thanks for sharing :-)!

• Feb 21, 2005 at 11:10 PM

Loved the "Charming guys" warning tip. SO true! Alas, it's impossible to resist! Cat

• TomorrowsAngel's Profile Photo
    Sep 10, 2004 at 12:10 AM

Interesting page. Hope to get to Qatar one day. You should come see the horseracing in Riyadh.

• genispp's Profile Photo
    Jul 4, 2004 at 3:42 AM

Beautiful page. I like your photos

• MissyWQ's Profile Photo
    Apr 26, 2004 at 7:50 PM

There are plenty of "Arabs" (Arabian horses that is) here in Santa Barbara - North County. You must come and see Solvang too designed after a Danish Town.

• Royal63's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2004 at 8:12 PM

Gorgeous pictures. I have Arabian horses too. I am glad you were able to see the horse show. Must have been a lot of fun!

• Apr 24, 2004 at 6:21 AM

Nice page..awaiting more...will come back later to revive my memories.

Badges & Stats in Qatar