"Heart wrenching poverty" Khett Siem Reab by anoum
Khett Siem Reab Travel Guide: 4,330 reviews and 12,640 photos
Throughout my visit & until today, two months after my visit, the strongest image that stayed with me about Siem Reap was the poverty that was about everywhere.
The young man in this photo is one of those unsung heroes who struggle to make life better for his people. He was an orphan who grew up in the temple beside Angkor Wat (on the right side of the temple complex, opposite the public toilet). Today he is the only teacher and carer for the 30 odd orphans there. He has no fixed income and relies on donations from tourists who wander near the temple, to feed and clothe the children as well as himself.
Please visit him & the kids when you are visiting Angkor Wat. Hopefully you will also donate something.
We came across this group of children while walking away from one of the temple complexes in the Angkor Wat area. Although we didn't like to encourage the children to beg, we donated the remainder of our rials to them for trying to earn some money from singing and they even had those leaves weaved into hats to make themselves look somewhat better!
- Pros:Amazing ancient temples, friendly people
- Cons:Overwhelming poverty, dust
We were recommended this hotel by a travel agent in Phnom Penh. He also arranged for his friend, Boon Hut, a tuk-tuk... more travel advice
anoum's Related Pages
Khett Siem Reab Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Diva's Guide to Angkor"
- "Siem Reap"
- "Keeweechic's Siem Reap"
- "Amazing Ankor Wat"
- "Los templos de Angkor- Angkor temples"
- "Old World Charm of Siem Reap"
- "In Angkor and around"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Khett Siem Reab
- Hotels in Khett Siem Reab
- Transportation in Khett Siem Reab
- Nightlife in Khett Siem Reab
- Restaurants in Khett Siem Reab
- Shopping in Khett Siem Reab
- Warnings and Dangers in Khett Siem Reab
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Khett Siem Reab
- 2 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Khett Siem Reab?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Khett Siem Reab
Photos in Khett Siem ReabSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Pulau Pangkor 14 reviews, 33 photos
- Hanoi Intro, 8 reviews, 20 photos
- Taman Negara Intro, 9 reviews, 19 photos
- Pulau Jerejak Intro, 7 reviews, 19 photos
- Penang Intro, 5 reviews, 20 photos
- Hat Yai Intro, 8 reviews, 11 photos
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 5 reviews, 11 photos
- Hue 9 reviews, 6 photos
- Kuala Lumpur 4 reviews, 10 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Butterworth 4 reviews, 8 photos