"Temples and temples" Hat Yai by anoum
Hat Yai Travel Guide: 379 reviews and 717 photos
Hadyai (as is spelled officially) is well known as a shopping haven for Malaysians and Singaporeans.
But this time, we spent most of our time looking at temples.
Found out there is a huge statue of the Buddha overlooking the town of Hadyai. To get to this place, you need to enter it through the main gate of the Hadyai Municipal Park.
When we were there, the drivers of cars entering the park were asked to leave their identity cards at the guard house in exchange for a pass.
The road up to the statue is quite steep and winding. You need to have your own transport unless you want a good huffing puffing walk.
The statue is huge, as you can see from my photo. The smaller statue of the Buddha is almost man-sized. Compare it to the one in the background!
In front of the statue is a series of steps leading down to the Quanyin temple. I am told there are about 1,000 steps.
This temple is a new one, located lower than the golden statue of the Buddha.
It is a complex consisting of a number of buildings including the gateway of the dragon's head, as shown on this page.
It is supposed to be good to walk into the mouth of the dragon!
The main building of the complex houses this grand looking centre piece which consists of a few hundred small statues of the Buddha.
- Pros:The place gives a good overview of the town of Hadyai
- Cons:You need to have your own transport to get there
- In a nutshell:Guardian of Hadyai
Three streets away from Lee Garden Hotel (from the front entrance), you will find a Malay woman hawker who sells the... more travel advice
This hotel is always a favourite with travellers from Malaysia. It used to be booked fully on Malaysian public holidays... more travel advice
anoum's Related Pages
Hat Yai Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hat Yai"
- "Southern Thailand"
- "Sawadeeka Hat Yai"
- " Hat Yai - Gateway to Southern Thailand "
- "Hat Yai....."
- "Can't avoid the place !"
- "Jennifer's Hat Yai"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hat Yai
- Hotels in Hat Yai
- Transportation in Hat Yai
- Nightlife in Hat Yai
- Restaurants in Hat Yai
- Shopping in Hat Yai
- Warnings and Dangers in Hat Yai
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hat Yai
- 8 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Hat Yai?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hat Yai
Top 10 Pages
- Pulau Pangkor 14 reviews, 33 photos
- Hanoi Intro, 8 reviews, 20 photos
- Taman Negara Intro, 9 reviews, 19 photos
- Pulau Jerejak Intro, 7 reviews, 19 photos
- Penang Intro, 5 reviews, 20 photos
- Hat Yai Intro, 8 reviews, 11 photos
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 5 reviews, 11 photos
- Hue 9 reviews, 6 photos
- Kuala Lumpur 4 reviews, 10 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Butterworth 4 reviews, 8 photos