"My Hometown" anoum's Profile
Butterworth has always been regarded as the poor sister or step-sister of Penang island. Tourists know it as a transit point between Kuala Lumpur and Thailand or Indonesia. At first look, it looks like a cowboy town, rough at the edges and contain little else. Well, in these pages, I'll try to introduce another face of Butterworth.
Photo - on the way.
OK, Butterworth is both a town and a district. Confused? Well, what outsiders know as Butterworth town is actually know locally as Bagan, with its colonial field in the centre. Butterworth itself is really a district that comprises other towns and lots of housing estates.
The most vibrant area of Butterworth is Jalan Raja Uda or Raja Uda Road. It is one long road with numerous housing estates that is filled with all types of businesses, especially food. At night, it really comes alive. There are Chinese family restaurants, coffee shops, hawker centres, Indian-Muslim food shops, street food, vegetarian food shops, organic food shops, economy rice food shops etc.
On this single road, there are six banks. That tells you the state of the economy of Jalan Raja Uda.
To get to this vibrant area, from the jetty, take a bus to Bagan Ajam. There are many buses. From the jetty, it takes at least 20 mins due to five traffic lights. Get down after the 6th traffic light or when you see the Public Bank (on your left).Cross the road and you will be at Jalan Tambi Kecil. Walk straight and when you reach a T-junction with traffic lights, that is Jalan Raja Uda.
Photo - on the way
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 107 Reviews
- 213 Photos
- 6 Countries
- 20 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
- Commented on anoum's profile page
- created a Blue Mountains National Park Travel Page "Blue Mountains, NSW"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Blue Mountains, NSW"
- Posted in Travel Sydney Forum "Re: Prepaid Phone card"
- anoum and y2ketan2007 are now friends.
- Uploaded a Video to Butterworth
- Wrote a Review Best Location in Kunming Hotels
updated their Profile Page "My Hometown"
PhotosSee All Photos (213)
VideosSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Pulau Pangkor 14 reviews, 33 photos
- Hanoi Intro, 8 reviews, 20 photos
- Taman Negara Intro, 9 reviews, 19 photos
- Pulau Jerejak Intro, 7 reviews, 19 photos
- Penang Intro, 5 reviews, 20 photos
- Hat Yai Intro, 8 reviews, 11 photos
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 5 reviews, 11 photos
- Hue 9 reviews, 6 photos
- Kuala Lumpur 4 reviews, 10 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Butterworth 4 reviews, 8 photos