"Roma" Rome by shobhanaj
Rome Travel Guide: 11,964 reviews and 26,451 photos
As we emerged out of the Rome station platform, clueless on accommodation we headed to the tourist office…here goes the convo.
Tout 1 " You want hotel” Late Bloomer 1 ignores, enters office and moves toward the counter. Seeing my face she says “Minimum 250,000 lira.” Turn around TO tout 1 “Room!? – 90,000 lira”; Tout 1 “I 150,000 up.” A couple of gesticulations and Tout 2 swishes hand “Ok...come.” In five minutes we have a room in an apartment where he lives...that was rapid room movement...with Internet connection and a Fortune magazine on the table...figured touts in Italy were progressive…he dashed it out in equal time “Tourists leaveee eet and gho.”
The Late Bloomers setout on the tourist track after HOT chocolate (you will run out adjectives to describe it...even Shift+F7 function in word is found wanting). Our trip to visit the Vatican was cut short by the fact I WAS in knee lengths shorts. The next day our trip to St Peters Basilica was marked by awe...mammoth, gigantic, spectacular…the sheer scale of the artifacts, sculptures, paintings. The Sistine chapel (Shobs reaction was “is this the THE SISTINE CHAPPEL?”) a BIT OF A LET DOWN – tell me any over hyped that isn’t…apart from Sachin Tendulkar. The Catholic Church acquired (Read plundered) artifacts from the world over and soon with dwindling numbers of Roman Catholics, could be leading art collector of the world. Stands out in our trip is religious art, sculptures were fed and nurtured by the Catholic Church and maybe Mussolini's friendship with Hitler allows us to cherish these treasures.
The trip to the coliseum just kept taking me back to the Gladiator. Just to think 80,000 people would have cheered man killing man, man killing lions...blood gore...incredible stuff. The key is to let your imagination run to those times....else all one will end up is seeing stones, holes, steps, stones, steps. A story lies below the ruins…only your mind can experience it.
Then followed a trip to a couple of fountains…we did the usual stamps of informed tourists...turning our backs and wishing for “Piece and prosperity for the thumping chest of Britney Spears and Lopez ben” and tossed coins.
shobhanaj's Related Pages
Rome Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "R O M E"
- "TO THE SOURCES OF MY CULTURE AND HISTORY."
- "Roma - Città Eterna"
- "Roma, una citta stupenda"
- "Rome : A Surpise Around Every Corner"
- "Awestruck in Rome"
- "The world's biggest open air museum?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rome
- Hotels in Rome
- Transportation in Rome
- Nightlife in Rome
- Restaurants in Rome
- Shopping in Rome
- Warnings and Dangers in Rome
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rome
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Rome?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rome
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Himachal Pradesh Intro, 29 reviews, 30 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 20 reviews, 19 photos
- India Intro, 12 reviews, 7 photos
- Mumbai Intro, 14 reviews, 4 photos
- Bali Intro, 8 reviews, 9 photos
- State of Madhya Pradesh Intro, 5 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tuscany Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rishikesh Intro, 7 reviews, 6 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orchha Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Shenzhen Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos