Naran Off The Beaten Path Tips by besal Top 5 Page for this destination
Naran Off The Beaten Path: 11 reviews and 16 photos
Will take you 2-3 hours. Usually a Jeep takes around Rs 500 to Lake Saiful Muluk...approx 40 minute drive, but if you are up to it, you can always walk or bike to Saiful Muluk lake.
Picture shows the valley that comes up to the Lake from Naran. The spillway from the lake goes all the way to Kunar River.
For beginners or people who just want to walk a short distance, a gentle walk starting from PTDC hotel, over a bridge takes you to the other side of River Kunhar. Veer left and follow the trail. A small track follows Kunhar for a short distance till you reach another make shift bridge (see picture). You cross it and enter the main market place.
This walk takes about 1-2 hours. Depending how fast you go. Also lots of flora and fauna on this trail.
The river itself is still unexplored. There is a potential for white water rafting, and other water sports associated with fast flowing rivers.
Kaghan valley is basically unexplored. There are several side valleys/options available that can be discovered. But you need time.
Just like an iceberg..we only know about 10% of this valley...rest is still to be discovered.
There are numerous side vallies that one can explore. And it would be advisible if you do decide to explore, hire a local guide.
Flower decked Lulusar banks
Enroute towards Babusar Pass, on the old route to Gilgit before KKH was built, lies an ellusive lake called Lulusar.
From Naran, Lulusar is almost 4.5 hours jeep drive North. It is said that the river flowing through this valley, Kunar, starts from this lake. If you keep on travelling further up, you will reach Babusar Pass, which gives a good view of Nanga Parbat. After hair raising, hair-pin turns, you again climb down and reach Chillas and the KKH.
Before going towards this lake, you need to check with the local establishement to ensure that the route is cleared from landslide or the road is clear.
You will beed a Jeep (4x4) and an expert driver who has gone there before. Cost is around Rs. 3000 to 4000 (may have increased due to surge in petroleum prices). Take all your essentials as you will not find any on the way. Though there are villages/hamlets along the way, but not what you may be looking for.
Depart Naran early in the morning to ensure that you return before nightfall.
From Besal there are various side valleys that one can go to. But you should take along a local guide. There is a 2-3 day hike towards Lake Daday pat (4000m) and further down the valley to Lake Saral.
Counsult Foot print or Lonely Planet handbook on how to get there.
More Reviews (20)
- See All Jeep Hire
- See All For going the distance
- See All Bees whack
- See All Kaghan's life line
- How many days are you going to spend?
besal's Related Pages
Naran Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "An Unforgettable Vacation In Kaghan (Kagan) Valley"
- "The valley of lovely lakes and amaizing landscapes"
- "Kaghan Valley"
- "The Paradise on earth"
- "A FAIRY TALE PLACE IN PAKISTAN.."
- "Welcome to my Naran page. Have a nice stay!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Naran
- Hotels in Naran
- Transportation in Naran
- Nightlife in Naran
- Restaurants in Naran
- Shopping in Naran
- Warnings and Dangers in Naran
- See All...
Explore the World
- Isla de Maipo Hotels
- Ogun State Hotels
- San Joaquín
- Panzano Hotels
- Serra de Água
- Rawalpindi Cantonment Hotels
Badges & Stats in Naran
- 25 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 20 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Naran?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Naran
Photos in NaranSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karachi Intro, 76 reviews, 307 photos, 3 travelogues
- Thatta Intro, 20 reviews, 80 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Islamabad Intro, 11 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Taxila Intro, 16 reviews, 45 photos
- Khewra Intro, 16 reviews, 41 photos
- Gwadar Intro, 11 reviews, 46 photos
- Kirthar Range Intro, 12 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naran Intro, 25 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hunza Intro, 12 reviews, 35 photos
- Muzaffarabad Intro, 10 reviews, 37 photos