Taxila Things to Do Tips by besal
Taxila Things to Do: 4 reviews and 15 photos
Built during Sir Mortimer Wheeler’s time, the museum houses majority of the artifacts of his exhaustive excavations. The museum is notable for housing Gandharan sculptures and art, giving a good idea of what Taxila was during its heyday. There is also a good collection of coins and silver ornaments displayed along with various other artifacts.
One reason why this museum is well preserved is thanks to grants from various countries, especially Japan. Secondly a lot of dignitaries, on and off visits Taxila as it is a short distance from Islamabad/Rawalpindi.
It is open from 0830-1230; 1430-1730 in summer time (1 April-30 September). 0800-1600 in winter (1 October-31 March). Every first Monday of each month, Taxila museum is closed for routine repair/maintenance/cleaning operations.
For details on what is there to see in Taxila (other then the museum) see my off the beaten path tips.
Directions: Next to PTDC motel on the main Taxila road.
More Reviews (15)
- See All Replicas of Statues
- Own transport
- See All Rough Sketch of Taxila
- Home to the ordinance factories
besal's Related Pages
Taxila Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "True Ruins!"
- "The Ancient city TAXILA"
- "Taxila UNESCO World Heritage Site a Gem"
- "TAXILA AND THE BUDDIST SITES."
- "Pictures of Taxila"
- "Taxila Museum"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Taxila
- Hotels in Taxila
- Transportation in Taxila
- Shopping in Taxila
- Warnings and Dangers in Taxila
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Taxila
- 16 Reviews
- 45 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Taxila?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Taxila
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karachi Intro, 76 reviews, 307 photos, 3 travelogues
- Thatta Intro, 20 reviews, 80 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Islamabad Intro, 11 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Taxila Intro, 16 reviews, 45 photos
- Khewra Intro, 16 reviews, 41 photos
- Gwadar Intro, 11 reviews, 46 photos
- Kirthar Range Intro, 12 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naran Intro, 25 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hunza Intro, 12 reviews, 35 photos
- Muzaffarabad Intro, 10 reviews, 37 photos