"BETWEEN VOLCANOES AND APHRODITE" Top 5 Page for this destination Milos Island by Orkaena
Milos Island Travel Guide: 194 reviews and 605 photos
Milos was a sweet surprise for us. This cycladic island close to Sifnos, another luminous island, is a very peaceful place and stay away from the classic tourist circuit of the greek islands.
So, the touristic profile of Milos is typically greek, I mean, it is a place where the greek families rests in summer. Of course there are foreigners, but we are the minority.
Milos become famous in 1820, when the Venus de Milos statue was discovered in there. The right name of this greek godess is Aphrodite, Venus is the name of the roman godess. But you know, the latin marketing won this little battle, I means, this fantastic sculpture is known around the whole world like Venus de Milo. Must be Aphrodite de Milos. Well, I think. No?
You can admire this masterpiece in Paris at the Louvre Museum.
The statue was carved by a sculptor of Antioch on the Maeander River in about 150 BC
The island was shaped by three volcanoes, and the presence of big mountains of splendent pumice tell us about a violent geological story.
The contrast between this white stone and the different blue tones of the sea are simply wonderful.
- Pros:Peaceful, sweet, not expensive, wonderful landscapes, great people
- Cons:Most of the people speak only greek
- In a nutshell:The ancient greek spirit wanders in the air like the owner of things and souls.
From the top of the mount where Plaka is nailed the view of the surroundings is breathtaking, the sunlight looks... more travel advice
At 12 kms from Adamas is located the small Mandrakia harbour, dreaming, calm and beautiful this small village beside the... more travel advice
Orkaena's Related Pages
Milos Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Milos is for lovers"
- "BETWEEN VOLCANOES AND APHRODITE"
- "Milos, a wonderful island of the Cyclades"
- "3 days in Milos"
- "Milos through my eyes"
- "Milos: Goddess of Cyclades"
- "Milos...Voulcanic emotions..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Milos Island
- Hotels in Milos Island
- Transportation in Milos Island
- Nightlife in Milos Island
- Restaurants in Milos Island
- Shopping in Milos Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Milos Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Milos Island
- 13 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Milos Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Milos Island
Photos in Milos IslandSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 20 reviews, 92 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 18 reviews, 49 photos
- Reims Intro, 10 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puerto Madryn Intro, 17 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cusco Intro, 15 reviews, 44 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nisos Sifnos Intro, 15 reviews, 42 photos, 5 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 14 reviews, 41 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puerto Pirámides Intro, 12 reviews, 43 photos, 5 travelogues
- Neuquén Intro, 24 reviews, 30 photos
- Santorini Island Intro, 17 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues