"TWICE PERU, TWICE ASTONISHED" Cusco by Orkaena

Cusco Travel Guide: 1,065 reviews and 2,293 photos

Cusco, the Inca capital city

El Cusco is the ancient capital of the Inca Empire. The city is a singular mix between the ancient kechua culture and the colonial style imposed by the Spanish Empire.
Kechua is the name of the "inca" people. But this issue deserves an explanation.
There are a very extended mistake, because Inca there was only one, the king. I means, is like all the british were "Kings". No way, king is only one.
Then Inca is only one, the ethnic name of this people is "kechua".

The Hotel Los Andes

Amazing. The hotel building date from 1532, and still like always after a lot of earthquakes. Even a lot of furnitures are from those years.
Hundreds of years ago this hotel was the house of a spaniard crown knight serving to the king of Spain.
The doors still the same, and aren't locked with cards or keys. They use a small chain and a padlock. Bizarre but effective, no doubt.

BREAKING NEWS: As far as I can know all those adorable characteristics doesn't exists anymore. Globalisation is here and now the hotel belongs to the Best Western corporation. Watch my accomodation tips.

My room or a museum?

The coffer date from the year 1690, the chair from 1895, and the wardrobe is original. 1532.
Y felt like an archaeologist. An ignorant one.

• Pros:Splendent and continuous culture display, hospitable, friendly
  • Cons:Too westernised, perhaps. Global World reached the Kechua World, like 500 years ago...
  • In a nutshell:Perpetual bright.
  • Last visit to Cusco: May 2000
  • Intro Updated Aug 5, 2013

• Jan 18, 2010 at 5:43 PM

thanks for an interesting page with great pics carlos! i am coming here in august!

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    Dec 29, 2009 at 11:39 AM

Interesting and entertaining virtual visit to a place I've always wanted to go. And when I do, I WILL stay away from the Chicha. :)

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Dec 11, 2009 at 12:13 PM

Wonderful pictures and very good tips on Cusco...thanks for sharing...and yes, will not drink CHICHA. I tasted the pisco sour and got diarrhea after - but then I am allergic to alcohol...Norman :)

• antonela's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2008 at 11:48 AM

This photo has immortalized, this little boy, and it is like a fine painting. Absolutely beautiful, could not stop looking at it.

• sachara's Profile Photo
    Mar 15, 2008 at 1:25 PM

Hi, Carlos !! Nice to read your Cusco page with so many known places. It's almost 7 years ago Co and I visited the area. I enjoyed your traveloques, pics and tips.

• RoyJava's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2007 at 9:53 AM

This makes me hungy for Peru, enjoyed your wonderful tips and writings Carlos, tnq, greets Roy Holland

• bijo69's Profile Photo
    Jul 15, 2007 at 2:13 PM

Nice page Carlos! Really have to visit South America one day!

• marcelo15's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2007 at 2:36 PM

hola amigo! estoy muy bien. tienes muy buenas fotos. ahora muy feliz de volver a este magnifico lugar el proximo mes. asi q estoy muy contento. un abrazo mi amigo, marce.

• angelochka's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2006 at 11:24 AM

i've been to Peru and Cusco maybe 8 years ago, unfortunalely by this time havent digital camera, have only printed photos, but yours are great and remind me one of my great journeys

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Mar 3, 2006 at 9:53 AM

great tips!

Orkaena

“I'm an animal in the process of evolution, bear with me as I take a stroll through this blue balloon”

Badges & Stats in Cusco