"BORN WITH THE LAKE" Villa El Chocón by Orkaena
Villa El Chocón Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 26 photos
Located at 70 kilometers to the southwest of the capitol city of Neuquen, the little and lazy village of El Chocón technically was born on the last days of the 60 decade, when the contractor assigned to built the great dam on the Limay river, made of stones and lime (yes, lime, it isn't cement) should install accomodations for thousands of workers and engineers.
Once finished the dam works and started to generate electricity the workers emigrated again leaving behind them all the facilities and accomodations empty. Of course for this moment some little shops and essential services were installed too and then some people decided to live beside this huge new lake and the astonishing surrounds created by him.
But during the excavations works for the dam something strange happen, began to appear a rare collection of huge fossile bones, gigantic someones, and a lot.
The University started to investigate and they found that the bones belongs to dinosaurs with more than 100 millions years. Bingo.
Huge quantities of complete fossile skeletons of new specimens, almost all of them belonging to unknown species.
A crowd of enthusiastic palaeontologists from every corner of the planet came to investigate the new discovery, and found more than bones, they found fossilized steps, almost in perfect conditions, but a regrettable fact hits the palaeo universe, the growing artificial lake will cover all of them or almost. Just only a few traces survives until today, and due to the tourism and the lack of caress they are disappearing. What a pity.
- Pros:Wonderful, almost original wilderness
- Cons:needs more touristic services
- In a nutshell:The New Noah Ark
If you're hosted in the cabins, so you'll need some provisions to make your own food, then drive in downtown the Villa... more travel advice
The water sports are very popular in El Chocón, the shore is accessable, have facilities and is located at less of one... more travel advice
Orkaena's Related Pages
Villa El Chocón Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Villa El Chocón
- Hotels in Villa El Chocón
- Restaurants in Villa El Chocón
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Villa El Chocón
- 8 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Villa El Chocón?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Villa El Chocón
Photos in Villa El ChocónSee All Photos (26)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 20 reviews, 92 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 18 reviews, 49 photos
- Reims Intro, 10 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puerto Madryn Intro, 17 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cusco Intro, 15 reviews, 44 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nisos Sifnos Intro, 15 reviews, 42 photos, 5 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 14 reviews, 41 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puerto Pirámides Intro, 12 reviews, 43 photos, 5 travelogues
- Neuquén Intro, 24 reviews, 30 photos
- Santorini Island Intro, 17 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues