"~ Cool Tokyo ~" Tokyo by FelixB

Tokyo Travel Guide: 4,100 reviews and 10,126 photos

Having been a learner of the Japanese language for around 2 years, I was very familiar with Japan and Tokyo. Tokyo did not seem strange to me. It was actually feeling like I have been there before although I haven't. It was very interesting to find some of the clichés being true and to also find new aspects I never knew about.
I spent three weeks in Tokyo from March until the very beginning of April and I was very lucky to stay with my friend "kumi" who I met in New Zealand. That's why I could live in a Japanese house in a maze of narrow streets and sleep on a futon in a tatami room. And because I was very lucky the house was still within the boundaries of Tokyo in Koiwa, Edogawa-ku.

Night

Tokyo is great. And one of its biggest appeals would be the nightime and its nightlife, of course. The thousands of neons that can be found throughout the city at various locations are a very typical feature of Tokyo. Also do its lights constantly change so after coming back for a long time you are likely to see everything changed.
Tokyo is a bustling city with around 30 million people living in its metropolitan area. More than anywhere else. And just like its neons, Tokyo always changes its appearance.
I will check out more nightlife on my upcoming trips, because this time was more to get familiar with the city.

Around Tokyo

Short distances away from Tokyo you will find places with no clue whatsoever that around the next curve you'll find possibly the biggest accumulation of concrete in the world.
If you are visiting Tokyo make sure to go to places like Kamakura and Nikko with magnificent temples and shrines that belong to the UNESCO world heritage.
On my trip I also managed to visit Matsushima way up north in Miyagi Prefecture, the City of Nagano and Matsumoto and its castle.

• Pros:Lots of stuff to do - cultural sightseeing and urban entertainment
  • Cons:Sometimes air can get bad
  • In a nutshell:Tokyo never gets boring
  • Last visit to Tokyo: Aug 2007
  • Intro Updated Apr 18, 2008

• AKtravelers's Profile Photo
    Oct 31, 2009 at 12:04 AM

Thanks for the tip! Next time I go to Shibuya, I'll get a venti at the Starbucks!

• Oct 14, 2006 at 11:26 AM

lovely page! Nikos

• kris-t's Profile Photo
    May 30, 2006 at 6:20 PM

Great Tokyo page! thank u!

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    Jan 16, 2006 at 11:53 AM

very nice page, informative, a little different. Thank you for your effort.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2005 at 2:47 PM

Wonderful pictures and excellent tips, Felix ! Reminds me of nice days in Tokyo. Did you stay for o-hanami ? I love the pic of Hachiko :-) Und natürlich Asakusa :-))

• sprdak11's Profile Photo
    Sep 20, 2005 at 2:26 AM

Great travel page with interesting tips and photos! Greetings!

• Wild_Orchid's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2005 at 5:56 PM

magnificent tips! You write very well and I enjoyed the virtual tour.

• AyurinHiro's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2005 at 6:14 AM

Hi from Osaka,JAPAN! We are happy to know you enjoyed traveling Japan :-). Yes, please let us know if you come back to Japan (and especially to Osaka area) Have a good time!

• doogienj's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2005 at 3:54 PM

Very informative. I will come back before I go in the fall. Great neon pix! Cheers, Douglas

• kevarms's Profile Photo
    Apr 10, 2005 at 8:35 AM

Great tips! I can vouch for Tower Records in Shibuya. I searched 2 years in England for a certain German CD. I found it in Shibuya. Sugoi !

FelixB Visits Here Frequently!

FelixB