"So many countries, so little time!" CEP1863's Profile

A little about me.....

My name is Clare. I am from Birmingham but have also lived and worked for a number of years in Portugal and Hungary. Travelling is a real passion of mine and I believe that through this wonderful medium, we can endeavour to appreciate, undestand and celebrate the many diverse cultures on our wonderful planet.

I have a passion for the outdoors, which probably is a good job since I work outside! I love to scuba dive and I also enjoy skiing and playing golf. When I'm not travelling I enjoy spending time working in my garden.

When travelling, I enjoy exploring cities but I also like to visit small out of the way places, go off the beaten path, visit historic places, picturesque villages, meet people and absorb different cultures.

So why have I finally decided to create my own travel pages? The answer is simple: inspiration from fellow VTers but also so that I may share my stories and photos with others. These pages though are also for me as doing this is helping me to gradually improving my computer skills as well as keeping some sort of record of some of my trips around the world.

Scuba diving - real passion...

Much of my travel is done around the medium of scuba diving. The ocean covers 71 percent of the earth's surface and contains 97 percent of the planet's water. I care passionately about the oceans but unfortunately, it is rare for me to surface after a dive without the pockets of my BCD stuffed full of rubbish that I have collected. Once rubbish is in the ocean it is much harder to remove. Unfortunately it does endanger sea life. The reefs and the underwater world is suffering because of carelessly disposed of carrier bags, plastic bottles, cigarette butts etc. Please, please, please think carefully about how you dispose of your rubbish. Please help keep our beaches and our oceans clean.

Also do not buy shells, pieces of coral etc off vendors. In many countries it is illegal to export these items and you are contributing to the decline of our reefs.

Every time you step onto a beach, or indeed travel anywhere in the world please pay heed to the following:

"Take only memories, leave only footprints."

A small corner of the UK

This weekend (27-29th Sept) I have (with five colleagues) come up to the Lake District with 63 16-18 year olds. It has been many years since I have visited here and I got up early to watch dawn break over Windemere. The experienced has just reinforced what beauty I have around me .

Birthday in Boston

I have come to Boston to celebrate my birthday with family and friends. Our visit coincided with the Head of the Charles Regatta 2013. We spent a glorious day on the banks of the Charles River cheering on the crews. The atmosphere was great and it was a brilliant start to our trip to Boston.

• Intro Updated Dec 9, 2013

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
CEP1863's Profile Photo

CEP1863

“Experience is not what happens to us, rather it is what we do with what happens to us. ”

Real Name