"My favorite city" Lisbon by Renescheffer
Lisbon Travel Guide: 5,270 reviews and 13,027 photos
I visited Lisbon about 8 times between 1984 and 2003. What attrackts me ? The authenticy. Squares, food, cheapness, combination city/beach nearby, soccer enthousiasm (Goooaaaaal), Fado, the language and much more. There are a lot of cheap but good pensaos, you can have a 3 course meal with a bottle of wine for about 9 euro. There is a lot to do and see: Expo 1998, Zoo, Gulbenkianmuseum, Euro 2004 stadiums, markets, Fado-concerts, nearby Sintra, Cascais, Sesimbra.
Taverna or Adega de Sao Antao at Rua Portas de Sta Antao nr 42 is an example of a typical Lisbon restaurant. Its in a touristy street.
But is has a good reputation, is not a tourist trap although it looks like..... The neighbours with the same exterior try to scream tourist inside by offering cheap spaghetti . . .
We had a great Sargo (Seabream), 14 euro for two, with salad and patatoes. Further north in the same street is Tronco. I was there in 1984 and 19 yrs later again. Nothing changed. Some tourist, hookers and their pimps, elderly men watching TV and a Portugese family. Food is incredible cheap and good.
The Rua the Correios in Baixa hosts a lot of similar restaurants. There you can order Sopa de Alentejano with garlic, egg, and bread for just 90 eurocent. Starters for 2 euro and entrees for 5-7 euro. Wine is 3-5 euro a bottle !
I visited the Zoo in 1986.
Its was cheap but there were not too much animals... a lot of dogs some hippos and penguins. We visited the zoo last year and it appeared to be a normal Zoo with much more species of animal; it is situated just 100 meters from the Sete Rios Metro station. There is an aqarium and a free dolphin show.
At the end we ordered a bottle of white wine near the exit; just 5 euro for a Dao 1999.
- Pros:Cheap, friendly, weather, food, soccer
The restaurant is on the left side of the Sta. Antao street when you walk from the Praca de Figuera to the north. Its... more travel advice
Watching airplaines is easy.... The airport is very near to the city center. Going to the cinema is also a good option... more travel advice
Renescheffer's Related Pages
Lisbon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Lisbon"
- "My home town"
- "Lisbon, Portugal"
- "Ahh, LISBON....Esta tao bonita como sempre."
- "saudades de Lisboa"
- "Lisboa, probably the most beautiful city there is"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lisbon
- Hotels in Lisbon
- Transportation in Lisbon
- Nightlife in Lisbon
- Restaurants in Lisbon
- Shopping in Lisbon
- Warnings and Dangers in Lisbon
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lisbon
- 9 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Lisbon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lisbon
- updated a Lisbon Travel Page "My favorite city"
- Posted in Travel Barcelona Forum "RE: Any recommendations..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Cheap, good location and clean."
- Wrote a Review Cosy an homey/cheap and good about Restaurante Tronco in Lisbon Restaurants
- Commented on one of chiara76's Lisbon travel pages
Photos in LisbonSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Lisbon Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos
- Dublin Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos
- Torino Intro, 10 reviews, 8 photos
- Zeist Intro, 9 reviews, 9 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Apricale Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos
- Venice Intro, 2 reviews, 4 photos
- Porto Intro, 2 reviews, 4 photos
- Lille Intro, 3 reviews, 3 photos
- Rovinj Intro, 1 review, 5 photos