"Madison - my home away from home" Top 5 Page for this destination Madison by latte18

Madison Travel Guide: 302 reviews and 477 photos

The place that I called home for 5.5 years

Coming from a huge city like Jakarta with a population of over 10 million, I was a bit skeptical when I got accepted at UW-Madison. Madison, I thought, a fairly small city with a population of only 250,000 people, what would I do there, would I be bored, would I be happy? Well, it turned out that I was worrying for nothing. I fell in love with Madison right away.

And who wouldn't? A mainstay in every major "Best Place to Live in America" surveys, Madison is a great place to live, work, study, and play. For a mid-sized city it's blessed with such a diverse population that only few other cities can claim. The people are liberal, friendly, and outgoing. There are abundant activities to keep you busy, from nature walk to dancing the night away, from indulging in ethnic foods to enjoying outdoor concerts and performances. Madison has got it all!

Now, I'm proud to say that once I called Madison my home for five and a half years!

My alma mater

Madison is the home of one of the largest and the best public universities in America (and my almamater), the University of Wisconsin. The campus is located on the shore of Lake Mendota. It's huge and well-kept and home to dozens of interesting places to visit while you're in Madison

Chilly Winters

Brace yourself for Wisconsin weather! Madison's winters are notorious and temperature often drops below freezing point for days or even weeks. First snow of the season usually falls in November and the last snow falls somewhere in March or April.

• Pros:the diversity for a midsize city, the university, the natural beauty
  • Cons:summer road constructions, sometimes the city being too midwestern
  • In a nutshell:one of the best places to live, work, study, and play
  • Last visit to Madison: Jan 2004
  • Intro Updated Jun 17, 2004

• May 26, 2007 at 3:11 PM

That's not the owner, just a sulky female cashier. I've met the female owner, she wears glasses and couldn't be any more friendly.

• LauraWest's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2005 at 6:52 AM

Really well done tips. Thanks!You should be in the top 5! Maybe my votes will get you there!

• karina82's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2004 at 12:31 AM

nice, honest description of madison! I'm a fellow UW alumni as well, just graduated this past Spring!

latte18

“a place becomes your home when you are sincere”

Badges & Stats in Madison

Have you been to Madison?

Latest Activity in Madison