"Jakarta - Indonesia's Melting Pot" Top 5 Page for this destination Jakarta by latte18
Jakarta Travel Guide: 1,352 reviews and 2,709 photos
Even though I was born in Surabaya, shortly thereafter my family moved to Jakarta, so I consider myself a born and bred Jakartan :) Jakarta is a misunderstood city, thanks to the Asian financial crisis, terrorism, and the negative news reports. It's true that Jakarta may not be the perfect city (but is there one really?), it's hot and humid, the traffic jam takes the cake, and the mess. But despite that, Jakarta will be the city that is closest to my heart, and even more since I'd spent the better part of the last 8 years in the US.
I invite you all to visit Jakarta and explore this humungous city that is full of contradictions: old and new, poor and new, conservative and cosmopolitan. It boasts an intoxicating blend of cultures and traditions that enrich the city and making it Indonesia's veritable melting pot.
People of various backgrounds, various ethnic groups come to Jakarta to make a living. Gleaming high-rise office buildings compete with red-rooofed single-story houses and shanty towns. The streets of Jakarta throb with the dynamics of commerce and urban living. All these make for one alluring and intoxicating city, a simply irresistable Jakarta.
Jakarta boasts everything from historic and cultural sites, high-end shopping malls to flea markets for the shopaholic, an amazing choice of food ranging from local and international treats to satisfy even the most demanding palate, places where you can chill out in or dance till the wee hours, and amusement parks for the family and the young at heart.
Jakarta is indeed a highly captivating city to visit or live in, with numerous activities to engage in and pleasant surprises that are waiting at every turns.
No need to worry about feeling hungry in Jakarta. Tons of eating spots ranging from upscale restaurants to street food stalls and hawker centers, from Arabic to Zimbabwean, it's all here in Jakarta!
- Pros:the food, the people, the living cost
- Cons:the heat, the traffic jam, the mess!
- In a nutshell:a city of contradictions
Okay, chances are you've become familiar with food delivery in this day and age. But, isn't it troublesome to remember... more travel advice
I've no idea why is this place called the Embassy, what an unimaginative name! Apart from the cheesy name, this place... more travel advice
- See All airport tax and departure tax
- some pointers on how to get along with...
- See All exercise caution @ intersections
- packing for the tropics
- See All A Great SALEabration 2004
latte18's Related Pages
Jakarta Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wonderful people in a hectic, polluted megalopolis"
- "Enjoy Jakarta"
- "the big doerian. ;-)"
- "Jakarta, The Megapolitan"
- "Jakarta - Indonesia's Melting Pot"
- "My 2nd Home"
- "A Sight of Jakarta"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Jakarta
- Hotels in Jakarta
- Transportation in Jakarta
- Nightlife in Jakarta
- Restaurants in Jakarta
- Shopping in Jakarta
- Warnings and Dangers in Jakarta
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Jakarta
- 57 Reviews
- 51 Photos
- 13 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Jakarta?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jakarta
- Posted in Travel Singapore Forum "RE: RE: Scarlet boutique hotel,..."
- Wrote a Review food delivery to your doorstep about All In One in Jakarta Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "food delivery to your doorstep"
- updated a Jakarta Travel Page "Jakarta - Indonesia's Melting Pot"
- Commented on one of ukirsari's Jakarta travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jakarta Intro, 57 reviews, 51 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madison Intro, 28 reviews, 30 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 12 reviews, 15 photos
- Solo 3 reviews, 2 photos
- Rome 2 reviews, 2 photos
- Bali 2 reviews, 2 photos
- Paris 1 review, 1 photo
- Amsterdam 1 review, 1 photo
- Singapore 1 review, 1 photo
- Kuala Lumpur 1 review, 1 photo