"Patmos - I remember when Greece was like this!" Top 5 Page for this destination Patmos Island by Elenitsa
Patmos Island Travel Guide: 40 reviews and 141 photos
We arrived in Patmos in the dark and after an "interesting" first night (confusion regarding room proprietors and ending up in definately the WRONG place), we discovered an island which combines the glitz and cruise ship visits of Skala, with the beauty of Hora and the peace of beaches which felt like the ones I visited in Greece 20 years ago!
Skala is a real town - not the prettiest in Greece, but a real town with a life that goes on when the cruise ships aren't in. That said, it has a few too many designer & jewellery shops (and it has to be said tatty souvenier shops) for it's own good! The good news is, that (at least when I was there) these only opened when the cruise ships were in - so as a "resident" you can ignore their existence.
The square is a great place to watch the world (and various religious denominations) go by and generally sink into island life.
Hora (see main picture) is THE typical Greek island village - all white and blue and churches (and cats and donkies!). Didn't spend an evening there as we travelled out of season - but will certainly do so when we return in 2008!
The beaches are heaven - gritty sand, in picturesque bays with hardly any development (except for Grikos and Kambos and even these aren't "developed" by most island standards!) except for an excellent taverna or 2! Your peace may be disturbed by a donkey poking it's head over the wall or a goat trying to steal your food, but otherwise ....shhhhhhh!
Remember - this is a deeply religious island and the locals hold their traditions and religions dear - even if you're of a different or no faith - please bear this in mind.
More photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/elenitsa/sets/72157594338246076/
- Pros:Peace, friendly, old fashioned Greece with all mod cons!
- Cons:The hordes from the large cruise ships-go to the beach!!!
- In a nutshell:Somewhere that will call you back again and again!
This taverna is set at Meloi beach. Very welcoming and with excellent food and loose retsina. We NEVER eat lunch in... more travel advice
The Ostria is right on the sea front and has a sort of terrace out front. My first impression was "expensive/tourist... more travel advice
Elenitsa's Related Pages
Patmos Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Patmos – the holy island of my wife's ancestors"
- "Patmos, the sacred island"
- "Patmos - I remember when Greece was like this!"
- "Patmos is Bliss"
- "Island of Patmos - ÍÞóïò ÐÜôìïò"
- "Island of Patmos"
- "The Island of the Apocalypses"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Patmos Island
- Hotels in Patmos Island
- Transportation in Patmos Island
- Restaurants in Patmos Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Patmos Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Patmos Island
- 4 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Patmos Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Patmos Island
- Posted in Travel Patmos Forum "Re: Fotini Evgenikou Rooms -..."
- Commented on one of vtveen's Patmos Island travel pages
- Wrote a Review More mezes in Patmos Island Restaurants
- updated a Patmos Island Travel Page "Patmos - I remember when Greece was like this!"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Patmos - I remember when Greece was like this!"
Photos in Patmos IslandSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Rhodes (Island) Intro, 10 reviews, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tilos Island Intro, 8 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Khora Sfakion Intro, 7 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kalymnos Intro, 2 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues
- Crete Island Intro, 7 reviews, 15 photos, 2 travelogues
- Chipping Sodbury Intro, 6 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paxoi Island Intro, 5 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nisos Megisti Intro, 4 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Patmos Island Intro, 4 reviews, 8 photos
- Sougia Intro, 3 reviews, 8 photos