"The Windy City" Chicago by Glorija
Chicago Travel Guide: 5,942 reviews and 12,203 photos
I spended really nice time in Chicago. Suprised over the kindness of people and cleanless of the city itself. Extremly happy over the sunny and warm weather conditions and thrilled about what Chicago has to offer. It was not very likely for me to got bored although I stayed in Chicago for 16 days.
Must admit - one really great experience.
Chicago is a major city in the U.S. state of Illinois. The city is the largest in the Midwest, and with a population of nearly three million people, Chicago is the third-most populous city in the United States. Chicago is located along the southwestern shore of Lake Michigan. Chicago is informally called the "Second City," the "Windy City," and the "City of Big Shoulders."
You know you are from Chicago if ...
- You don't pronounce the "s" at the end of Illinois, and you become irate at people who do.
- You measure distance in minutes (especially "from the city"), and everything is pretty much 15 minutes away.
- You've switched from heat to air conditioning in the same day.
- Your grocery stores don't have sacks; they have bags.
- You always carry jumper cables in your car.
- You drink "pop," not soda.
- You understand that I-290, I-90, I-94, and I-294 are all different highways.
- You know the names of the interstates:
Stevenson, Kennedy, Eisenhower, Dan Ryan, and the Edens, but you call them all "expressways."
- You refer to Lake Michigan as "The Lake."
- You know what the "cribs" are.
- You refer to Chicago as "The City."
- No matter where you are, when you hear the term "Downtown," you immediately assume they're talking about downtown Chicago.
- You know "the Loop" means Downtown.
- You have two favorite football teams: The Bears, and anyone who beats the Packers!
- You read "The Trib."
- You drive to the North suburbs by taking "The Outer Drive" even though no such road exists.
- You understand what "lake-effect" means.
- You can distinguish among the following area codes: 847, 630, 773, 708, 312, & 815.
- And, the all time CHICAGO CLASSIC: You have at some time in your life, used your furniture to guard your parking spot in winter.
This year I had very interesting holidays. That is what I must admit for sure. Christmas time is special in general. But enjoying it in Chicago is even more special. I meet so many nice people that I will surley never forget that nice feeling. Checking for presents underneath the christmas tree was surley one thing I wanted to be a part of while staying in the US ... and David (great person who lives in Chicago) made my wish possible while inviting me into his home. Thanks!
I had the opportunity to swim in, I have no clue which floor, pool on New year`s Eve. And for every nice experience that... more travel advice
The Museum of Science and Industry is one of the most popular museums in the United States. It covers diverse areas like... more travel advice
Glorija's Related Pages
Chicago Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The place I call home"
- "Captivating City of "The Big Shoulders": Chicago"
- "Never A Lovely So Real"
- "Chicago - My Favorite City in the United States!"
- "Sweet Home Chicago!"
- "Chicago - I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chicago
- Hotels in Chicago
- Transportation in Chicago
- Nightlife in Chicago
- Restaurants in Chicago
- Shopping in Chicago
- Warnings and Dangers in Chicago
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chicago
- 21 Reviews
- 46 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Chicago?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chicago
- Posted in Travel New York City Forum "Re: New York clubbers help!"
- Commented on one of antistar's Chicago travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Victoria Secret - THE BEST"
- Wrote a Review Workout for everyone about Fitness Centers in Chicago Sports & Outdoors
- updated a Chicago Travelogue "Getting to know Chicago with me ;)"
Photos in ChicagoSee All Photos (46)
Top 10 Pages
- Chicago Intro, 21 reviews, 46 photos, 1 travelogue
- Indonesia Intro, 14 reviews, 41 photos, 3 travelogues
- Thailand Intro, 9 reviews, 35 photos, 3 travelogues
- Ljubljana Intro, 19 reviews, 21 photos
- Novalja Intro, 11 reviews, 23 photos
- Vatican City Intro, 8 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Malaysia Intro, 10 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bangkok Intro, 9 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Uyuni Intro, 6 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 7 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue