"The Windy City" Chicago by Glorija

Chicago Travel Guide: 5,908 reviews and 12,104 photos

Marvelous Chicago

I spended really nice time in Chicago. Suprised over the kindness of people and cleanless of the city itself. Extremly happy over the sunny and warm weather conditions and thrilled about what Chicago has to offer. It was not very likely for me to got bored although I stayed in Chicago for 16 days.

Must admit - one really great experience.

General informations

Chicago is a major city in the U.S. state of Illinois. The city is the largest in the Midwest, and with a population of nearly three million people, Chicago is the third-most populous city in the United States. Chicago is located along the southwestern shore of Lake Michigan. Chicago is informally called the "Second City," the "Windy City," and the "City of Big Shoulders."

You know you are from Chicago if ...
- You don't pronounce the "s" at the end of Illinois, and you become irate at people who do.
- You measure distance in minutes (especially "from the city"), and everything is pretty much 15 minutes away.
- You've switched from heat to air conditioning in the same day.
- Your grocery stores don't have sacks; they have bags.
- You always carry jumper cables in your car.
- You drink "pop," not soda.
- You understand that I-290, I-90, I-94, and I-294 are all different highways.
- You know the names of the interstates:
Stevenson, Kennedy, Eisenhower, Dan Ryan, and the Edens, but you call them all "expressways."
- You refer to Lake Michigan as "The Lake."
- You know what the "cribs" are.
- You refer to Chicago as "The City."
- No matter where you are, when you hear the term "Downtown," you immediately assume they're talking about downtown Chicago.
- You know "the Loop" means Downtown.
- You have two favorite football teams: The Bears, and anyone who beats the Packers!
- You read "The Trib."
- You drive to the North suburbs by taking "The Outer Drive" even though no such road exists.
- You understand what "lake-effect" means.
- You can distinguish among the following area codes: 847, 630, 773, 708, 312, & 815.
- And, the all time CHICAGO CLASSIC: You have at some time in your life, used your furniture to guard your parking spot in winter.

Christmas time!

This year I had very interesting holidays. That is what I must admit for sure. Christmas time is special in general. But enjoying it in Chicago is even more special. I meet so many nice people that I will surley never forget that nice feeling. Checking for presents underneath the christmas tree was surley one thing I wanted to be a part of while staying in the US ... and David (great person who lives in Chicago) made my wish possible while inviting me into his home. Thanks!

• Last visit to Chicago: Dec 2006
  • Intro Updated Apr 4, 2007

• Grazina's Profile Photo
    Mar 19, 2008 at 6:51 AM

Not just Chicago is friendly but all of America U.S.A. My slovenian friend Mojca was here in Dec 2007and commeted on just how friend this country is she loves it and wants to move here.

• antistar's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2007 at 10:24 AM

Seems like it was much colder on your trip, but such blue skies!

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Apr 4, 2007 at 11:32 AM

Thanks for stopping by my Chicago page and so glad you enjoyed it :-) I will be in Slovenia in May, looking forward to it!

• ZENDER's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2007 at 9:12 AM

Ha he..just to let you know I AM HERE, My dear Friend!

• Mar 16, 2007 at 5:18 AM

You and your boyfriend look great together!

• Faiza-Ifrah's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2007 at 8:37 PM

this is a nice little page on chicago. but 16 days is rather a small time period to explore the city i guess :-)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2007 at 2:47 PM

"It's a beautiful day in Chicago!" was my motto for my first year on VirtualTourist. I'm glad you enjoyed your 16-day visit.

Glorija

“Enjoy the beauty of unknown.”

Badges & Stats in Chicago

Have you been to Chicago?

Latest Activity in Chicago