"London, United Kingdom" Kap2's Profile
My return trip from Russia....
Some quotes from Mahatma Gandhi:
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will."
"There is a higher court than courts of justice and that is the court of conscience. It supercedes all other courts."
"Intolerance is itself a form of violence and an obstacle to the growth of a true democratic spirit."
"Violent means will give violent freedom. That would be a menace to the world and to India herself."
His statute is not far from the site of 7 July 2005 bus bombing on Upper Woburn Place. This square contains many sculptures and planting related to various concepts of peace. The statue was unveiled by Labour Prime Minster Harold Wilson in 1966.
"The poverty from which I have suffered could be diagnosed as "Soho" poverty. It comes from having the airs and graces of a genius and no talent."
Soho is a part of London, that seems to expand and contract with fashion. My defintion is that its that part of the West End that turns its back on the highly popular but uncool Oxford Street and elegant but tough minded Regent Street and the shabby Charing Cross Road. It dips its toe into Piccadilly Circus and Shaftesbury Avenue and its head floats up to Fitzroy Square, and the area sometimes known as Noho or Fitzrovia.
Last Friday of every month
huge cyclist's protest through central London. Meet up at 6-7pm on the Southbank near Waterloo Roundabout, London.
This late Victorian theatre is located where Shaftesbury Avenue crosses Charing Cross Road, a very busy and awkward to cross junction.... it seems to attract oversized foreign coach that always get stuck... famous for many years as the home of Les Miserables now departed....
more here: http://www.thisistheatre.com/londontheatre/palacetheatre.html
There is much free entertainment in London, especially buskers on the Tube, around Covent Garden, and entire shows on the South Bank
here: http://www.coinstreetfestival.org/ and here: http://www.southbanklondon.com/
I was wandering around London, and I came across this protest by the critical mass people.... they want to encourage cycle riding and less car use. You can see more pictures in my album..... "Naked Protesters"
If you say Big Ben, this clock tower springs to mind... a pedant is likely to point out that the Big Ben refers to the bell inside.... BONG, BONG, BONG...
To me it is the sound of the bell and the clock tower together... its an icon representing the triumph of the civic over the monarchist, the building itself is the re-invention of the gothic in the industrial age, whilst ancient parts of the old Palace of Westminster.
To the left of the clock tower on this picture is Portcullis House.
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
“Ever Tried? Ever Failed? No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better - Samuel Beckett, Worstward Ho!”
- Member Rank:
- 0 1 7 1 0
- Real Name
- Melvyn Dresner
- London, United Kingdom
- Member Since
- Apr 17, 2004
- 113 Reviews
- 379 Photos
- Add Friend
- Send Message
Badges & Stats
- 113 Reviews
- 379 Photos
- 8 Countries
- 15 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
- Commented on mesoblonda's profile page
- Kap2 and Pasangtamang are now friends.
updated their Profile Page "London, United Kingdom"
- Uploaded a Photo to "London, United Kingdom"
- created a Kemerovo Travel Page "Kemerovo Region Celebrates 70 years...."
- Wrote a Review Moscow City Day about KGB Headquarters Lubyanka in Moscow Things to Do
- Posted in Travel Moscow Forum "Re: Hotel/B&B in Moscow"
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 37 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 18 reviews, 72 photos, 5 travelogues
- Finchley Intro, 17 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Irkutsk Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Belfast Intro, 5 reviews, 13 photos
- Riga Intro, 4 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Brussels Intro, 3 reviews, 10 photos
- Novokuznetsk Intro, 13 photos, 2 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 2 reviews, 10 photos
- Bedrichov Intro, 12 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Hotels
- 22459 Reviews - 54962 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2701 Reviews - 7925 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23315 Reviews - 48908 Photos
- Philadelphia Hotels
- 2093 Reviews - 4054 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15643 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2025 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3092 Reviews - 5855 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 780 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12023 Reviews - 26760 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2058 Reviews - 3874 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7828 Reviews - 20233 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22905 Photos