"Opera and cycling (and coal-mining) in Essen" Top 5 Page for this destination Essen by Nemorino
Essen Travel Guide: 195 reviews and 731 photos
The UNESCO World Heritage site Zollverein Shaft XII is an easy bicycle ride from the center of Essen -- only about five kilometers from the Aalto-Theater, for example. It's best to reserve a tour in advance, but I was lucky because I arrived at the Visitors' Center without a reservation a few minutes before eleven on a Sunday morning and found that there was exactly one place free on a tour that was leaving on the hour.
The tour was like a crash course in coal-mining, led by a man who obviously knew the colliery like the back of his hand, but he couldn't have been a miner because he was over sixty, and miners didn't live that long. Also no miner ever set foot in this compound, known locally as the Forbidden City, because Shaft XII was designed exclusively for the purpose of bringing up huge amounts of coal in wheeled tubs, and sending the empty tubs back down again. Nearby there were four older shafts that were used for transporting the miners and their equipment.
Long before I ever toured the Zollverein colliery in Essen, there was another phase of my life in which I was very interested in coal mining, and that was during the United Mine Workers strike of 1948. I was eight years old at the time and was just starting to realize that there were other pages in the newspaper besides the funnies.
We didn't subscribe to a newspaper, but my father bought the Chicago Daily News every day after work at the C&NW station and read it on the train. When he got home I eagerly snatched the paper from his hand, threw it and myself down on the living room rug and of course read the funnies first, but then turned to the front page to see if that awful John L. Lewis, the glowering union leader, was still blocking our coal supply.
I knew about coal because we had a big pile of it in a bin next to the furnace in our basement. My father assured me we had enough to keep us warm all winter, but I was dubious. Also I was worried that he might get stuck in downtown Chicago some day if the C&NW didn't have enough coal to run its steam locomotives.
A few years later we switched to gas heating, around the same time the railroad started phasing out its steam locomotives in favor of diesels.
Thus far I have seen two operas at the Aalto-Theater in Essen. The first, several years ago, was a blatantly anti-war staging of Verdi's Aida, which I of course liked very much, though some people thought they were overdoing it by having crippled war veterans hobble by to salute the king during the Triumph March.
More recently I went to the premiere of a new production of Rossini's Italian Girl in Algiers, a very funny opera which in this case was set in an ultra-modern airport in an Arab country. The stage set was designed by Hermann Feuchter, who lives near Frankfurt am Main and has designed several sets for the Frankfurt Opera. (And yes, he was once a featured guest at one of my opera appreciation courses.)
Update: In June 2010 Essen was one of ten cities in the Ruhr District that started Metropolradruhr (?Metropolitan Bicycle Ruhr?), which they say is ?the biggest bike sharing system in Germany?. The other nine participating cities are Bochum, Bottrop, Dortmund, Duisburg, Gelsenkirchen, Hamm, Herne, Mülheim an der Ruhr and Oberhausen.
If this doesn't look like a very glamorous, luxurious, fashionable or suave hotel, don't worry, it isn't. It's just an... more travel advice
Renting a bicycle in Essen is easy and inexpensive, because they have a large Bicycle Station right in the main train... more travel advice
Nemorino's Related Pages
Essen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Essen, Cultural Capital 2010"
- "Center of the Ruhr Area Industrial Complex"
- "Opera and cycling (and coal-mining) in Essen"
- "Essentially Essen"
- "ESSEN KULINARISCH"
- "Welcome to Essen"
- "Industrial Beauty and green areas"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Essen
- Hotels in Essen
- Transportation in Essen
- Nightlife in Essen
- Restaurants in Essen
- Warnings and Dangers in Essen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Essen
- 13 Reviews
- 43 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 35 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (98)
Have you been to Essen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Essen
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: Views Counter now working but..."
- updated a Essen Travel Page "Opera and cycling (and coal-mining) in Essen"
- Commented on one of Nemorino's Essen travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Opera and cycling (and coal-mining) in Essen"
- Wrote a Review My usual kind of hotel in Essen Hotels
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paris Intro, 435 reviews, 1848 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 100 reviews, 253 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 61 reviews, 222 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Besançon Intro, 48 reviews, 202 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Avignon Intro, 46 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 49 reviews, 175 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marseille Intro, 45 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 56 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulon Intro, 42 reviews, 156 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 32 reviews, 151 photos, 6 travelogues