"Since when is Frankfurt in Bavaria?" Frankfurt by Nemorino
Frankfurt Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 37 photos
In the VirtualTourist database there are four places in Germany that are called Frankfurt. One is a large city in Land Hessen called Frankfurt am Main, which is best known for its huge and very noisy airport.
Frankfurt am Main is where I live and it is also the home of one of the world’s busiest and most exciting opera houses.
The second-largest place called Frankfurt is a city in Land Brandenburg on the Oder River, on the border between Germany and Poland. The other two are tiny villages in Bavaria and Sachsen-Anhalt.
In the old days of VirtualTourist all four of these used to come up at once when you did a search for “Frankfurt”. Since VT had no maps in those days it was difficult for some people to decide which was which.
So it happened that between 2003 and 2008 twenty-three VirtualTourist members mistakenly posted pages under Frankfurt (Bavaria), when what they really meant was the city in Hessen with the big airport.
Update: In April 2014, someone from the VT staff moved all the misplaced pages from the tiny village of Frankfurt (Bavaria) to the city of Frankfurt am Main (Hessen).
So now the first twenty-one "newest" Frankfurt am Main pages are simply old ones that used to be in the wrong place.
Many thanks to whoever it was who got this straightened out!
So the page you are looking at right now is the twenty-fourth VirtualTourist page to be listed under Frankfurt (Bavaria), but I am the first VT member who has actually been there. The other twenty-three merely picked the wrong Frankfurt out of the list.
This Frankfurt is one of eleven villages that have been combined, for administrative purposes, into the municipality of Markt Taschendorf or rather “Markt Markt Taschendorf”, with the word Markt appearing twice. That’s why the sign in the photo reads “Frankfurt” in large letters and then “Markt Markt Taschendorf” in smaller letters. And below that in even smaller letters it says “Kreis Neustadt a.d. Aisch-Bad Windsheim”, for those who want to know which county it is in. (Click on the photo to enlarge.)
The eleven villages of the municipality of Markt Taschendorf together had 1031 inhabitants at last count. The most recent figure I have seen for Frankfurt was 147. That figure is from the 1980s, but I don’t think it has changed much since then.
Nearby towns in the Steiger Forest:
• Markt Taschendorf, 3 km northeast of Frankfurt
• Scheinfeld, 5 km southwest of Frankfurt
• Markt Bibart, 9 km southwest of Frankfurt
Location of Frankfurt in Google Maps
There are three roads coming in to Frankfurt, one from Lachheim to the southeast, one from Markt Taschendorf to the... more travel advice
At the crossroads in the middle of Frankfurt there is a roofed-over map of the eleven villages of the municipality of... more travel advice
Nemorino's Related Pages
Frankfurt Travel Guide
- Hotels in Frankfurt
- Transportation in Frankfurt
- Restaurants in Frankfurt
- Warnings and Dangers in Frankfurt
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Frankfurt
- 14 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 31 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (89)
Have you been to Frankfurt?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Frankfurt
- Posted in Travel Bremen Forum "Re: buying a fan in Bremen"
- Commented on one of Nemorino's Frankfurt travel pages
- updated a Frankfurt Travel Page "Since when is Frankfurt in Bavaria?"
- Commented on the Frankfurt travel guide
- Uploaded a Photo to "Since when is Frankfurt in Bavaria?"
- Wrote a Review Downtown Frankfurt in Frankfurt Off The Beaten Path
Photos in FrankfurtSee All Photos (35)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paris Intro, 407 reviews, 1706 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 100 reviews, 253 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 61 reviews, 222 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Besançon Intro, 48 reviews, 202 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Avignon Intro, 46 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 49 reviews, 175 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marseille Intro, 45 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 56 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulon Intro, 42 reviews, 156 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 32 reviews, 151 photos, 6 travelogues