"Home of the world's best opera company" Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main by Nemorino

Frankfurt am Main Travel Guide: 1,754 reviews and 3,812 photos

My absolutely favorite place in Frankfurt am Main is the opera house.

No, I don't mean the old opera house.

I mean the new opera house on Willy-Brandt-Platz,
where they put on real operas several times a week.

Update: Now it’s official. The Frankfurt Opera was named the world’s best opera company at the first International Opera Awards ceremony in London in April 2013.

The Frankfurt Opera has become one of Germany's finest in the past few years. It was voted "Opera House of the Year" in 2003, and has received several similar honors since then. It has a brilliant international ensemble with fine singers like Jenny Carlstedt from Finland, Anna Ryberg from Sweden, Juanita Lascarro from Columbia, Magnus Baldvinsson from Iceland, Elza van den Heever from South Africa, Aris Argiris from Greece, Alfred Kim and Sungkon Kim from Korea, Paula Murrihy from Ireland, Frank van Aken from the Netherlands, Simon Bailey from England and Peter Marsh, Michael McCown and Brenda Rae from the United States.

One of the world's outstanding opera administrators, Bernd Loebe, has been General Director (Intendant) of the Frankfurt Opera since 2002. Before that he was Artistic Director of the opera house La Monnaie in Brussels throughout the 1990s.

Another nice thing about the Frankfurt Opera is that there is no strict dress code. You CAN get dressed up if you feel like it, but you don't have to. If you are travelling and living out of a backpack you probably won't have any formal attire with you in any case, so just get out the smartest looking clothes you have with you, and try to borrow an iron before you come. Often there is a reasonably high percentage of young people in the audience, and they dress the way they always do when they are going out and want to look good.

I'm a trifle older so I put on a jacket and tie when I go to the opera, but not a suit because I always go there by bicycle.

Changes to this page

Since this Frankfurt am Main page was starting to get somewhat large and unwieldy, I have moved all the Local Customs tips (and a few others) over to my Germany page. These are tips that apply to the whole country of Germany, not only to the city of Frankfurt.

Also I have moved the Frankfurt Skyline Countdown over to my Land Hessen page.

Opera in the summer

If you come to Frankfurt in the summer you may find that the opera is closed for their summer vacation, but don't worry, there there are some alternatives.

For instance, you could take a 37-minute train ride down to Mannheim, since their opera season lasts two weeks longer than Frankfurt's. That's why Frankfurt opera goers tend to turn up in Mannheim during the second half of July, if they aren't off at some kind of festival or other.

You might also be able to see a performance at Carlos Krause's Opera Academy in Bad Orb or an open-air production by Jeunesses Musicales in Weikersheim.

Another good alternative is open-air opera in the beautiful setting of the Palmengarten put on by the Frankfurt Kammeroper or Chamber Opera.

As long as it doesn't rain too hard, that is.

But if someone tries to sell you a ticket to an opera at the Konstabler Wache, tell them you'd love to come but you have something really important to do that evening.

• Pros:Great opera! (Good cycling, too.)
  • In a nutshell:The secret opera capital of the world!
  • Intro Updated Sep 5, 2013

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo
    May 17, 2013 at 3:29 AM

Great of the beaten path tips. I should have read them before I visited last summer. irene

May 20, 2013 at 4:52 AM

Thanks for your visit to my Frankfurt am Main page. I'm glad you liked the Off the Beaten Path tips.

• lmkluque's Profile Photo
    Feb 24, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Some interesting updates Don! Thanks for the new info and lovely photos.

Feb 21, 2013 at 4:43 AM

Hi Don, fortunately for me Ryanair still fly into Berlin Schoenefeld but no doubt when the new Brandenburg Airport eventually opens, they will find some airport in the middle of nowhere like Werneuchen to save money and called it Berlin Airport.

Feb 22, 2013 at 2:11 AM

Alan, thanks for coming back to my Frankfurt am Main page to read some more tips.

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2013 at 10:42 AM

We can now fly to Frankfurt from Bristol our local airport - will have to arrage an opera weekend !

Feb 16, 2013 at 1:35 AM

Reading some more of your Frankfurt pages. I have always thought of Fisherman's Friend, Weetabix and especially Marmite as produces rarely available outside the UK. I must go to the wrong supermarkets Germany.

Feb 16, 2013 at 1:57 AM

Alan, thanks for reading some more of my Frankfurt tips. Fisherman’s Friend is a well-known product in Germany. They sell it at most kiosks and at all levels of the Hannover Opera House, for example. Weetabix is getting more and more popular; they even stock it at our local supermarket. But only the largest German supermarkets sell the smallest jars of Marmite. For a medium or large jar of Marmite I have to go into town to a shop called The Taste of Britain. (At some point I’ll add a tip about that one; they sell all the typical British products but of course with a mark-up.)

Feb 4, 2013 at 4:35 AM

Interesting story about the concert hall.

Feb 8, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Hi Alan, thanks for your ratings and comment. I'm glad you liked the story about the concert hall.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2012 at 4:28 AM

By what you have written, there are plenty of Theatres in your home city! Looks a big and modern city.

• lmkluque's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2012 at 8:26 AM

LOL! Thanks Don for the first laugh of my day! Your Warning and Danger tips were pretty funny!! Useful too!

• iblatt's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2011 at 10:36 PM

Reading your great opera tips I was looking forward to watching a performance during my visit to Frankfurt (July 7-9), but unfortunately there's nothing on then.. Any suggestions? Ilan

• SteveOSF's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2011 at 10:34 AM

I would like to visit Germany someday...

Nemorino Lives Here!

Nemorino

“Cars from now on will have to be lighter, smaller, slower, cleaner – and fewer! ”

Badges & Stats in Frankfurt am Main

Have you been to Frankfurt am Main?

Latest Activity in Frankfurt am Main