"Home of the world's best opera company" Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main by Nemorino

Frankfurt am Main Travel Guide: 1,781 reviews and 3,916 photos

My absolutely favorite place in Frankfurt am Main is the opera house.

No, I don't mean the old opera house.

I mean the new opera house on Willy-Brandt-Platz,
where they put on real operas several times a week.

The Frankfurt Opera has a brilliant international ensemble with fine singers like Jenny Carlstedt from Finland, Anna Ryberg from Sweden, Nina Tarandek from Croatia, Juanita Lascarro from Colombia, Magnus Baldvinsson from Iceland, Sofia Fomina and Iurii Samoilov from Russia, Paula Murrihy from Ireland, Judita Nagyová from Slovakia, Kihwan Sim from South Korea, Mario Chang from Guatamala, Simon Bailey from England, Martin Mitterrutzner and Daniel Schmutzhard from Austria, Vuyani Mlinde from South Africa and Brenda Rae, Peter Marsh, Michael McCown, Sara Jakubiak, Elizabeth Reiter, Karen Vuong and Beau Gibson from the United States.

One of the world's outstanding opera administrators, Bernd Loebe, has been General Director (Intendant) of the Frankfurt Opera since 2002. Before that he was Artistic Director of the opera house La Monnaie in Brussels throughout the 1990s.

Update: Now it’s official. The Frankfurt Opera was named the world’s best opera company at the first International Opera Awards ceremony in London in April 2013.

Another nice thing about the Frankfurt Opera is that there is no strict dress code. You CAN get dressed up if you feel like it, but you don't have to. If you are travelling and living out of a backpack you probably won't have any formal attire with you in any case, so just get out the smartest looking clothes you have with you, and try to borrow an iron before you come. Often there is a reasonably high percentage of young people in the audience, and they dress the way they always do when they are going out and want to look good.

I'm a trifle older so I put on a jacket and tie when I go to the opera, but not a suit because I always go there by bicycle.

Changes to this page

Since this Frankfurt am Main page was starting to get somewhat large and unwieldy, I have moved all the Local Customs tips (and a few others) over to my Germany page. These are tips that apply to the whole country of Germany, not only to the city of Frankfurt.

Also I have moved the Frankfurt Skyline Countdown over to my Land Hessen page.

Opera in the summer

If you come to Frankfurt in the summer you may find that the opera is closed for their summer vacation, but don't worry, there there are some alternatives.

For instance, you could take a 37-minute train ride down to Mannheim, since their opera season lasts two weeks longer than Frankfurt's. That's why Frankfurt opera goers tend to turn up in Mannheim during the second half of July, if they aren't off at some kind of festival or other.

You might also be able to see a performance at Carlos Krause's Opera Academy in Bad Orb or an open-air production by Jeunesses Musicales in Weikersheim.

Another good alternative is open-air opera in the beautiful setting of the Palmengarten put on by the Frankfurt Kammeroper or Chamber Opera.

As long as it doesn't rain too hard, that is.

But if someone tries to sell you a ticket to an opera at the Konstabler Wache, tell them you'd love to come but you have something really important to do that evening.

• Pros:Great opera! (Good cycling, too.)
  • In a nutshell:The secret opera capital of the world!
  • Intro Updated Nov 8, 2014

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Oct 5, 2014 at 3:41 AM

Don, I am not sure which Frankfurt we visited, but it is the one with the large International airport, we stayed overnight in the Bristol Hotel close by the main railway station & caught the train to Berlin around midday. Must return as from your page there is much to see & do!

Oct 5, 2014 at 5:46 AM

Yes, Mike, you have indeed chosen the correct Frankfurt. Thanks for your ratings and nice comments.

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Oct 5, 2014 at 3:36 AM

Don, Fisherman's Friends, I never travel without a packet. They are not distributed worldwide as some destinations we have visited do not stock them. I have been known to have a pack on my bedside table as they send me to sleep within minutes!

• Oleg_D.'s Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2014 at 5:49 AM

Thank for one more virtual tour!

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo
    May 17, 2013 at 3:29 AM

Great of the beaten path tips. I should have read them before I visited last summer. irene

May 20, 2013 at 4:52 AM

Thanks for your visit to my Frankfurt am Main page. I'm glad you liked the Off the Beaten Path tips.

• lmkluque's Profile Photo
    Feb 24, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Some interesting updates Don! Thanks for the new info and lovely photos.

Feb 21, 2013 at 4:43 AM

Hi Don, fortunately for me Ryanair still fly into Berlin Schoenefeld but no doubt when the new Brandenburg Airport eventually opens, they will find some airport in the middle of nowhere like Werneuchen to save money and called it Berlin Airport.

Feb 22, 2013 at 2:11 AM

Alan, thanks for coming back to my Frankfurt am Main page to read some more tips.

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2013 at 10:42 AM

We can now fly to Frankfurt from Bristol our local airport - will have to arrage an opera weekend !

Feb 16, 2013 at 1:35 AM

Reading some more of your Frankfurt pages. I have always thought of Fisherman's Friend, Weetabix and especially Marmite as produces rarely available outside the UK. I must go to the wrong supermarkets Germany.

Feb 16, 2013 at 1:57 AM

Alan, thanks for reading some more of my Frankfurt tips. Fisherman’s Friend is a well-known product in Germany. They sell it at most kiosks and at all levels of the Hannover Opera House, for example. Weetabix is getting more and more popular; they even stock it at our local supermarket. But only the largest German supermarkets sell the smallest jars of Marmite. For a medium or large jar of Marmite I have to go into town to a shop called The Taste of Britain. (At some point I’ll add a tip about that one; they sell all the typical British products but of course with a mark-up.)

Feb 4, 2013 at 4:35 AM

Interesting story about the concert hall.

Feb 8, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Hi Alan, thanks for your ratings and comment. I'm glad you liked the story about the concert hall.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2012 at 4:28 AM

By what you have written, there are plenty of Theatres in your home city! Looks a big and modern city.

Nemorino Lives Here!

Nemorino

“The world is full of wonderful places. Help keep them wonderful by not driving in them.”

Badges & Stats in Frankfurt am Main

Have you been to Frankfurt am Main?

Latest Activity in Frankfurt am Main