"Home of the world's best opera company" Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main by Nemorino
Frankfurt am Main Travel Guide: 1,754 reviews and 3,812 photos
No, I don't mean the old opera house.
I mean the new opera house on Willy-Brandt-Platz,
where they put on real operas several times a week.
Update: Now it’s official. The Frankfurt Opera was named the world’s best opera company at the first International Opera Awards ceremony in London in April 2013.
The Frankfurt Opera has become one of Germany's finest in the past few years. It was voted "Opera House of the Year" in 2003, and has received several similar honors since then. It has a brilliant international ensemble with fine singers like Jenny Carlstedt from Finland, Anna Ryberg from Sweden, Juanita Lascarro from Columbia, Magnus Baldvinsson from Iceland, Elza van den Heever from South Africa, Aris Argiris from Greece, Alfred Kim and Sungkon Kim from Korea, Paula Murrihy from Ireland, Frank van Aken from the Netherlands, Simon Bailey from England and Peter Marsh, Michael McCown and Brenda Rae from the United States.
One of the world's outstanding opera administrators, Bernd Loebe, has been General Director (Intendant) of the Frankfurt Opera since 2002. Before that he was Artistic Director of the opera house La Monnaie in Brussels throughout the 1990s.
Another nice thing about the Frankfurt Opera is that there is no strict dress code. You CAN get dressed up if you feel like it, but you don't have to. If you are travelling and living out of a backpack you probably won't have any formal attire with you in any case, so just get out the smartest looking clothes you have with you, and try to borrow an iron before you come. Often there is a reasonably high percentage of young people in the audience, and they dress the way they always do when they are going out and want to look good.
I'm a trifle older so I put on a jacket and tie when I go to the opera, but not a suit because I always go there by bicycle.
Changes to this page
Since this Frankfurt am Main page was starting to get somewhat large and unwieldy, I have moved all the Local Customs tips (and a few others) over to my Germany page. These are tips that apply to the whole country of Germany, not only to the city of Frankfurt.
Also I have moved the Frankfurt Skyline Countdown over to my Land Hessen page.
Opera in the summer
If you come to Frankfurt in the summer you may find that the opera is closed for their summer vacation, but don't worry, there there are some alternatives.
For instance, you could take a 37-minute train ride down to Mannheim, since their opera season lasts two weeks longer than Frankfurt's. That's why Frankfurt opera goers tend to turn up in Mannheim during the second half of July, if they aren't off at some kind of festival or other.
You might also be able to see a performance at Carlos Krause's Opera Academy in Bad Orb or an open-air production by Jeunesses Musicales in Weikersheim.
Another good alternative is open-air opera in the beautiful setting of the Palmengarten put on by the Frankfurt Kammeroper or Chamber Opera.
As long as it doesn't rain too hard, that is.
But if someone tries to sell you a ticket to an opera at the Konstabler Wache, tell them you'd love to come but you have something really important to do that evening.
- Pros:Great opera! (Good cycling, too.)
- In a nutshell:The secret opera capital of the world!
Up to now Frankfurt has not been known as a hotbed of street art, but that may be changing with this large mural called... more travel advice
From 1907 to 1938 this was the site of a large synagogue belonging to the orthodox Jewish Israelitischen... more travel advice
- See All When you just have to have a large jar...
- See All New York Metropolitan Opera Live in...
- See All Across from the stage entrance
- See All We waited thirty-five years for this!
- See All The world's first tourist opera
Nemorino's Related Pages
Frankfurt am Main Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Home of the world's best opera company"
- "The most Un-German City in Germany"
- "Main Metropolis"
- "A city better than its reputation"
- "Frankfurt - aka "Mainhattan""
- See All...
- Things to Do in Frankfurt am Main
- Hotels in Frankfurt am Main
- Transportation in Frankfurt am Main
- Nightlife in Frankfurt am Main
- Restaurants in Frankfurt am Main
- Shopping in Frankfurt am Main
- Warnings and Dangers in Frankfurt am Main
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Frankfurt am Main
- 97 Reviews
- 247 Photos
- 41 Forum posts
- 144 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (64)
Have you been to Frankfurt am Main?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Frankfurt am Main
- Posted in Travel Germany Forum "Re: Two nights along the Rhine"
- Commented on one of Nemorino's Frankfurt am Main tips
- Uploaded a Photo to "Observatory"
- Wrote a Review Street art by herakut in Frankfurt am Main Local Customs
- updated a Frankfurt am Main Travel Page "Home of the world's best opera company"
Photos in Frankfurt am MainSee All Photos (247)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paris Intro, 371 reviews, 1540 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 97 reviews, 237 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 61 reviews, 222 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 49 reviews, 175 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marseille Intro, 45 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 56 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulon Intro, 42 reviews, 156 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 32 reviews, 150 photos, 6 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 44 reviews, 125 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zürich Intro, 43 reviews, 126 photos