"Home of the world's best opera company" Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main by Nemorino
Frankfurt am Main Travel Guide: 1,789 reviews and 3,949 photos
No, I don't mean the old opera house.
I mean the new opera house on Willy-Brandt-Platz,
where they put on real operas several times a week.
The Frankfurt Opera has a brilliant international ensemble with fine singers like Jenny Carlstedt from Finland, Anna Ryberg from Sweden, Nina Tarandek from Croatia, Juanita Lascarro from Colombia, Magnus Baldvinsson from Iceland, Sofia Fomina and Iurii Samoilov from Russia, Paula Murrihy from Ireland, Judita Nagyová from Slovakia, Kihwan Sim from South Korea, Mario Chang from Guatamala, Louise Alder from England, Martin Mitterrutzner and Daniel Schmutzhard from Austria, Vuyani Mlinde from South Africa and Brenda Rae, Peter Marsh, Michael McCown, Sara Jakubiak, Elizabeth Reiter, Karen Vuong and Beau Gibson from the United States.
One of the world's outstanding opera administrators, Bernd Loebe, has been General Director (Intendant) of the Frankfurt Opera since 2002. Before that he was Artistic Director of the opera house La Monnaie in Brussels throughout the 1990s.
Update: Now it?s official. The Frankfurt Opera was named the world?s best opera company at the first International Opera Awards ceremony in London in April 2013.
Another nice thing about the Frankfurt Opera is that there is no strict dress code. You CAN get dressed up if you feel like it, but you don't have to. If you are travelling and living out of a backpack you probably won't have any formal attire with you in any case, so just get out the smartest looking clothes you have with you, and try to borrow an iron before you come. Often there is a reasonably high percentage of young people in the audience, and they dress the way they always do when they are going out and want to look good.
I'm a trifle older so I put on a jacket and tie when I go to the opera, but not a suit because I always go there by bicycle.
Changes to this page
Since this Frankfurt am Main page was starting to get somewhat large and unwieldy, I have moved all the Local Customs tips (and a few others) over to my Germany page. These are tips that apply to the whole country of Germany, not only to the city of Frankfurt.
Also I have moved the Frankfurt Skyline Countdown over to my Land Hessen page.
Opera in the summer
If you come to Frankfurt in the summer you may find that the opera is closed for their summer vacation, but don't worry, there there are some alternatives.
For instance, you could take a 37-minute train ride down to Mannheim, since their opera season lasts two weeks longer than Frankfurt's. That's why Frankfurt opera goers tend to turn up in Mannheim during the second half of July, if they aren't off at some kind of festival or other.
You might also be able to see a performance at Carlos Krause's Opera Academy in Bad Orb or an open-air production by Jeunesses Musicales in Weikersheim.
Another good alternative is open-air opera in the beautiful setting of the Palmengarten put on by the Frankfurt Kammeroper or Chamber Opera.
As long as it doesn't rain too hard, that is.
But if someone tries to sell you a ticket to an opera at the Konstabler Wache, tell them you'd love to come but you have something really important to do that evening.
- Pros:Great opera! (Good cycling, too.)
- In a nutshell:The secret opera capital of the world!
If you speak English, live in or near Frankfurt and are interested in opera, be sure to sign up for Germany?s only... more travel advice
For two weeks in June 2014 there was an exhibition in the Frankfurt district of Sachsenhausen called ?Colours of... more travel advice
- See All Don?t pick the wrong Frankfurt from the...
- See All Site of the former orthodox synagogue
- See All When you just have to have a large jar...
- See All Across from the stage entrance
- See All We waited thirty-five years for this!
Nemorino's Related Pages
Frankfurt am Main Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Home of the world's best opera company"
- "The most Un-German City in Germany"
- "Main Metropolis"
- "A city better than its reputation"
- "Frankfurt - aka "Mainhattan""
- See All...
- Things to Do in Frankfurt am Main
- Hotels in Frankfurt am Main
- Transportation in Frankfurt am Main
- Nightlife in Frankfurt am Main
- Restaurants in Frankfurt am Main
- Shopping in Frankfurt am Main
- Warnings and Dangers in Frankfurt am Main
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Frankfurt am Main
- 100 Reviews
- 263 Photos
- 64 Forum posts
- 151 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (98)
Have you been to Frankfurt am Main?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Frankfurt am Main
- Posted in Travel Paris Forum "Re: Paris to Amsterdam by Train"
- updated a Frankfurt am Main Travelogue "VT meeting in Frankfurt am Main on 26 August 2006"
- Commented on one of Nemorino's Frankfurt am Main tips
- Wrote a Review Frankfurt OperaTalk in Frankfurt am Main Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Frankfurt OperaTalk"
- Commented on the Frankfurt am Main travel guide
Photos in Frankfurt am MainSee All Photos (263)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paris Intro, 435 reviews, 1848 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 100 reviews, 253 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 61 reviews, 222 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Besançon Intro, 48 reviews, 202 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Avignon Intro, 46 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 49 reviews, 175 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marseille Intro, 45 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 56 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulon Intro, 42 reviews, 156 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 32 reviews, 151 photos, 6 travelogues