"Opera and Cycling in Freiburg" Top 5 Page for this destination Freiburg im Breisgau by Nemorino
Freiburg im Breisgau Travel Guide: 411 reviews and 1,079 photos
Freiburg im Breisgau is a pleasant university city at the edge of the Black Forest in the southwest corner of Germany, near the borders with France and Switzerland.
In other parts of Germany, Freiburg is envied for its relatively mild climate, since the daily weather maps in the newspapers and on television often show Freiburg as being a degree or two warmer than any other German city.
Freiburg is also known as one of the better cycling cities in Germany. This is not only because of the mild climate and the large student population, but also because the city has had a clear policy since the 1980s of promoting bicycle use (and public transport) and constructing an extensive network of cycling routes, while taking measures to discourage unnecessary automobile traffic.
On a recent visit I rented a bicycle in Freiburg on two consecutive days and had a fine time exploring the city.
The one opera I have seen in Freiburg thus far was Werther by Jules Massenet (1842-1912), which I have also seen in Würzburg, Darmstadt, Frankfurt am Main and Brussels.
This is a French opera based on the best-selling German novel of the 18th century, The Sorrows of Young Werther, by none other than Johann Wolfgang Goethe, or von Goethe, as he was known after being raised to the aristocracy on his 50th birthday. When he wrote the novel he was only 25, though, and still felt somewhat discriminated against as a non-aristocratic intellectual.
The fine Freiburg production of Werther takes the opera out of the 18th century and plants it firmly in the 21st, with modern apartment blocks in the background and a modern children's playground in the center of the stage. When Werther shoots himself at the end, out of desperation because he is hopelessly in love with someone else's wife, he does so at the top of the slide, and his blood gradually trickles down the slide as he sings his final duet with his beloved but unattainable Charlotte.
The young tenor Dong Won Kim (no relation to the filmmaker, as far as I know) put in a fine performance as Werther. Anja Jung was a somewhat matronly Charlotte, and Lini Gong nearly stole the show as the younger sister Sophie, who could have been Werther's salvation if he had been a bit less obsessive.
A pleasant, unpretentious little restaurant in the Old Town, just a few steps from the Rathausplatz. Yes, that's a... more travel advice
This hotel is conveniently located in the Old Town, just a short walk from the main railway station. It is bright,... more travel advice
Nemorino's Related Pages
Freiburg im Breisgau Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Freiburg im Breisgau"
- "Opera and Cycling in Freiburg"
- "Freiburg im Breisgau - warmest city in Germany"
- "Freiburg im Breisgau, fine once you find it....."
- "FREIBURG -A Charming City!"
- "Beauty in the Heart of Europe"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Freiburg im Breisgau
- Hotels in Freiburg im Breisgau
- Transportation in Freiburg im Breisgau
- Nightlife in Freiburg im Breisgau
- Restaurants in Freiburg im Breisgau
- Shopping in Freiburg im Breisgau
- Warnings and Dangers in Freiburg im Breisgau
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Freiburg im Breisgau
- 31 Reviews
- 95 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 41 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (64)
Have you been to Freiburg im Breisgau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Freiburg im Breisgau
- Posted in Travel Frankfurt am Main Forum "Re: Budjet Service Apartment"
- Commented on one of Kuznetsov_Sergey's Freiburg im Breisgau travel pages
- updated a Freiburg im Breisgau Travel Page "Opera and Cycling in Freiburg"
- Uploaded a Photo to "InterCityExpress trains"
- Wrote a Review Convenient in Freiburg im Breisgau Restaurants
Photos in Freiburg im BreisgauSee All Photos (95)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paris Intro, 371 reviews, 1540 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 97 reviews, 237 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 61 reviews, 222 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 49 reviews, 175 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marseille Intro, 45 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 56 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulon Intro, 42 reviews, 156 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 32 reviews, 150 photos, 6 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 44 reviews, 125 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zürich Intro, 43 reviews, 126 photos