"Cycling in and around Friedberg (Hessen)" Friedberg by Nemorino
Friedberg Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 86 photos
I don't think I would ever go out of my way just to see an abandoned US army base, not even the one where Elvis Presley used to be stationed, but it turns out that when you cycle into Friedberg from the south, from the direction of Bruchenbrücken, the signposted bicycle route takes you right past the Ray Barracks, a former American base which was deactivated in 2007.
When Elvis arrived here in 1958 he held a press conference for a hundred and fifty journalists and explained that he was just another typical GI Joe and did not expect any special privileges just because he was a famous rock star. Un-huh.
Elvis was only 23 when he was drafted into the army, and judging from the photos in the Wetterau Museum in Friedberg he was still reasonably slender at that time -- not the obese fast-food addict that he would become a decade later. He died in 1977 at age 42, a victim of overeating and prescription drug abuse.
The one really unusual thing in Friedberg is the Jewish ritual bath or Mikwe from the year 1260. Only half a dozen of these still exist in Germany. The one in Friedberg is said to be the most monumental.
During the Nazi dictatorship several attempts were made to destroy the Mikwe, but according to local historians this was prevented by a courageous high school history teacher and some of his pupils, who managed to convince the Nazi mobs that the Mikwe had been built by Christian stonemasons (who had also worked on a nearby church) and was therefore an important piece of architectural history.
The first railway station in Friedberg began operation in 1850. The current station was built in 1912-1913. The station... more travel advice
Like most German cities, Friedberg is gradually getting its cycling infrastructure up to date -- too gradually for us... more travel advice
Nemorino's Related Pages
Friedberg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cycling in and around Friedberg (Hessen)"
- "Easter Walk to Friedberg"
- "Elvis - destination Friedberg"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Friedberg
- Transportation in Friedberg
- Nightlife in Friedberg
- Restaurants in Friedberg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Friedberg
- 18 Reviews
- 50 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 23 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (58)
Have you been to Friedberg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Friedberg
Photos in FriedbergSee All Photos (50)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paris Intro, 352 reviews, 1452 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 96 reviews, 234 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 61 reviews, 222 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 49 reviews, 175 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marseille Intro, 45 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 56 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulon Intro, 42 reviews, 156 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 32 reviews, 150 photos, 6 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 44 reviews, 125 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zürich Intro, 43 reviews, 126 photos