"Händel, Donizetti and the Beatles" Top 5 Page for this destination Halle by Nemorino

Halle Travel Guide: 86 reviews and 438 photos

Händel House and Music Museum, Halle

The great baroque composer and impresario Georg Friedrich Händel was born in Halle in the year 1685.

His birth house and several adjoining buildings have been nicely renovated and now form the Händel House and Music Museum of the City of Halle, along with the Center for Händel Research.

After eighteen years in Halle, three in Hamburg and four in Italy, Händel settled in London where he wrote most of his forty operas, thirty oratorios and hundreds of other musical works.

In May 2001 I was asked to take over a presentation in Halle at quite short notice. After agreeing to do it, I went online to see if Halle has an opera house (it does) and if they were performing anything on the one evening I was going to be there (they were).

My presentation went really well, and in the break I asked my local counterpart how to get to the opera house. He said I could just come with him, since he was an opera subscriber and this was one of his subscription nights.

The opera we saw was one of my all time favorites, L'elisir d'amore (The Elixir of Love) by Gaetano Donizetti (1797-1848). This is an opera that I have seen numerous times in Frankfurt am Main, Darmstadt, Gießen, Paris, Vienna, Heidelberg and Prague over the past few years. It is the source of my member-name "Nemorino" here on VirtualTourist.

Nemorino in this opera is a guy who does everything wrong but gets the girl anyway, which is more or less the story of my life up to now, so I decided his name would be an appropriate member-name for me.

The Beatles got their start at the Star-Club in Hamburg in the year 1962, but none of them ever set foot in Halle as far as I know.

Nonetheless, Halle is the location of an extremely complete and comprehensive (critics might also say cluttered) Beatles Museum which is well worth a visit even if your musical tastes run more to Händel and Donizetti than to John, Paul, George and Ringo.

This is one of the very few museums (like the Chocolate Museum in Cologne) that is self-supporting, covers its own costs, pays taxes, does not run a deficit and does not need or receive any public subsidies.

To pronounce the word Halle you need two syllables, with the stress on the first: HA-lə. The second syllable is quite weak, but you can't just leave it off, because if you do no German speaker will have a clue what you are talking about.

The same goes for the river Saale (pronounced ZA-lə), which Halle is on.

• Last visit to Halle: Jul 2009
  • Intro Updated Jun 22, 2013

• alancollins's Profile Photo
    Dec 23, 2013 at 7:09 AM

I have a friend who is a Beatles fan and will mention the Museum in Halle when I see him next.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
      Dec 23, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Thanks, Alan. I really liked the Beatles Museum even though I am not a fan, particularly.
      If you know any Händel fans, tell them about the Händel Museum in Halle, too.

• isolatedpawn's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2013 at 6:57 AM

Welcome from Calapan City, Oriental Mindoro, Philippines

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2013 at 5:48 AM

It was interesting to read there is a good Beatles Museum here! Thought the statues were different and interesting and the many musical instruments.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jun 22, 2013 at 2:09 PM

The transportation looks wonderful here. The museums and statues are fantastic. Nice page Don!

• CDM7's Profile Photo
    Jun 2, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Never realised that there is a Beatles museum in Halle,have visited the one in Liverpool and that was excellent.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2011 at 8:34 PM

Another well executed group of tips with detail, great information, brilliant photographs, and fine insights. Always a pleasure to read about bikes, music, opera, architecture, and museums.

• kris-t's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2011 at 8:25 AM

Thank you for visiting our London page! It was our 1-st wedding anniversary. You have very interesting Halle page. It's special place for me - my father served there in forces 1951-1953...

• budapest8's Profile Photo
    Sep 12, 2010 at 12:35 PM

Very interesting read, I see Handel is buried with some of my distant ancestors in Westminister Abbey, didn't realise he settled in London. Interesting info abt the Beatles too. Thx for sharing,,:)

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Sep 10, 2010 at 4:26 AM

Interesting juxtaposition of musical museums: Handel (German-born but closely associated with London, England) and Beatles (English but with their career first taking off in Germany)!

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Apr 26, 2010 at 9:26 PM

Ya gotta love a city with a Beatles Museum that calls its Neustadt "Hanoi" and yes it's unfortunate that both east and west could be wrong in the same crucial ways. Great insights, Don.

Nemorino

“Cars from now on will have to be lighter, smaller, slower, cleaner – and fewer! ”

Badges & Stats in Halle