"Händel, Donizetti and the Beatles" Top 5 Page for this destination Halle by Nemorino
Halle Travel Guide: 85 reviews and 376 photos
The great baroque composer and impresario Georg Friedrich Händel was born in Halle in the year 1685.
His birth house and several adjoining buildings have been nicely renovated and now form the Händel House and Music Museum of the City of Halle, along with the Center for Händel Research.
After eighteen years in Halle, three in Hamburg and four in Italy, Händel settled in London where he wrote most of his forty operas, thirty oratorios and hundreds of other musical works.
In May 2001 I was asked to take over a presentation in Halle at quite short notice. After agreeing to do it, I went online to see if Halle has an opera house (it does) and if they were performing anything on the one evening I was going to be there (they were).
My presentation went really well, and in the break I asked my local counterpart how to get to the opera house. He said I could just come with him, since he was an opera subscriber and this was one of his subscription nights.
The opera we saw was one of my all time favorites, L'elisir d'amore (The Elixir of Love) by Gaetano Donizetti (1797-1848). This is an opera that I have seen numerous times in Frankfurt am Main, Darmstadt, Gießen, Paris, Vienna, Heidelberg and Prague over the past few years. It is the source of my member-name "Nemorino" here on VirtualTourist.
Nemorino in this opera is a guy who does everything wrong but gets the girl anyway, which is more or less the story of my life up to now, so I decided his name would be an appropriate member-name for me.
The Beatles got their start at the Star-Club in Hamburg in the year 1962, but none of them ever set foot in Halle as far as I know.
Nonetheless, Halle is the location of an extremely complete and comprehensive (critics might also say cluttered) Beatles Museum which is well worth a visit even if your musical tastes run more to Händel and Donizetti than to John, Paul, George and Ringo.
This is one of the very few museums (like the Chocolate Museum in Cologne) that is self-supporting, covers its own costs, pays taxes, does not run a deficit and does not need or receive any public subsidies.
To pronounce the word Halle you need two syllables, with the stress on the first: HA-lə. The second syllable is quite weak, but you can't just leave it off, because if you do no German speaker will have a clue what you are talking about.
The same goes for the river Saale (pronounced ZA-lə), which Halle is on.
Halle is well served by a system of modern tram lines, some of which go on to nearby towns like Merseburg. The fare for... more travel advice
Speaking of wrong-headed city planning, have a look at this twentieth century footbridge crossing the Merseburger Straße... more travel advice
Nemorino's Related Pages
Halle Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Händel, Donizetti and the Beatles"
- "Halle an der Saale"
- "Changing every day"
- "Halle an der Saale"
- "The World I Live In"
- "Easy Schorre disco club"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Halle
- Hotels in Halle
- Transportation in Halle
- Nightlife in Halle
- Restaurants in Halle
- Shopping in Halle
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Halle
- 30 Reviews
- 108 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 28 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (92)
Have you been to Halle?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Halle
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paris Intro, 410 reviews, 1725 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 100 reviews, 253 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 61 reviews, 222 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Besançon Intro, 48 reviews, 202 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Avignon Intro, 46 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 49 reviews, 175 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marseille Intro, 45 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 56 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulon Intro, 42 reviews, 156 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 32 reviews, 151 photos, 6 travelogues