"Opera and cycling in Hannover" Top 5 Page for this destination Hannover by Nemorino

Hannover Travel Guide: 659 reviews and 2,131 photos

Germany’s thirteenth largest city has a fine opera house with the young American conductor Karen Kamensek as General Music Director since 2011.

Hannover is on the North German Plain, so the land is quite flat. It would seem to be an ideal cycling city, yet the estimated modal share of bicycle traffic is only 15 % (about the same as in Frankfurt am Main). The official goal of the city of Hannover is to have 25 % bicycle traffic by 2018.

This pompous equestrian statue of King Ernst August I, who ruled the Kingdom of Hannover from 1837 until his death in 1851, is located directly in front of the main railway station. People often agree to meet “under the tail”, meaning at the rear end of Ernst August’s horse.

The inscription on the base of the statue reads: "To the father of the nation from his loyal people." (Uh-huh.)

I have made a Things to Do tip about King Ernst August I and how he treated the Göttingen Seven.

Hannover is the capital of the German state of Lower Saxony (Niedersachsen) and also has a large fairgrounds which is the site of several annual trade fairs. I know several people who go up to Hannover once a year (usually in March) for CeBIT, which is said to be the world’s largest trade fair on computers and information technology.

When I was in Hannover in 2011 there was lots of construction work going on in the city center, but there were ways to walk around it to get to the opera house (visible in the background in this photo).

First review: The Opera House

• Last visit to Hannover: Oct 2011
  • Intro Updated Aug 11, 2012

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2013 at 8:40 PM

An interesting page! I like the statues, even the quirky ones!

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Oct 23, 2012 at 5:50 AM

When I was in Germany back in 1982, we passed through Hannover but did not see much of the city, and I don't remember much about what we did see. Too bad, as it looks like an interesting place.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Aug 18, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Your travels are wonderful and adventurist. Your encounter of the yellow vending machine made me giggle! Excellent page. I like the idea of the bike rentals being 24/7!

• alancollins's Profile Photo
    Aug 13, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Hi Don, this is the first time I have heard of a machine that washes bicycles. Alan

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jul 23, 2012 at 9:30 AM

I love the grumpy man with the umbrella (he looks a little like the poet John Betjeman to me, but grumpier, perhaps because of all the rain!)

History not being my strong point (or at least, kings and queens etc) I had been unaware of Ernst August I and how the thrones of Hannover and Great Britain were separated - seems we were well rid of him!

And what a good idea to use the air raid shelters for band rehearsals :-)

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    May 19, 2012 at 4:20 AM

I can't believe that anyone wants to walk around with a Grillwalker, more than a very short distance. I like the statues by Ulrike Enders.

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    May 9, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Excellent page! I like the sculptures of those guys :-) I faintly remember having seen seen the Lister Turm when visiting Hannover as a youth with my parents and I certainly remember the grasshopper green trams.

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
    May 7, 2012 at 4:52 PM

I love the way you write, Don. I just wish I had read your Hannover page before I went there last August. I would have made much better use of my time there. The little man with the umbrella is also a favourite of mine.

• german_eagle's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2012 at 6:12 AM

Unusual and very interesting tips here again. Never been to Hannover and not sure I'll ever go. Btw, in communist East Germany pupils were not sorted in different types of school.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Don, another very interesting page. I have visited Hannover twice; both times for football matches. Last time I also took the train, which was quite convenient. I must admit that I haven't seen a grill-walker since my visit of your Berlin page.

Nemorino

“Cars from now on will have to be lighter, smaller, slower, cleaner – and fewer! ”

Badges & Stats in Hannover

Have you been to Hannover?