"Opera and cycling in Hannover" Top 5 Page for this destination Hannover by Nemorino
Hannover Travel Guide: 660 reviews and 2,143 photos
Germany’s thirteenth largest city has a fine opera house with the young American conductor Karen Kamensek as General Music Director since 2011.
Hannover is on the North German Plain, so the land is quite flat. It would seem to be an ideal cycling city, yet the estimated modal share of bicycle traffic is only 15 % (about the same as in Frankfurt am Main). The official goal of the city of Hannover is to have 25 % bicycle traffic by 2018.
This pompous equestrian statue of King Ernst August I, who ruled the Kingdom of Hannover from 1837 until his death in 1851, is located directly in front of the main railway station. People often agree to meet “under the tail”, meaning at the rear end of Ernst August’s horse.
The inscription on the base of the statue reads: "To the father of the nation from his loyal people." (Uh-huh.)
I have made a Things to Do tip about King Ernst August I and how he treated the Göttingen Seven.
Hannover is the capital of the German state of Lower Saxony (Niedersachsen) and also has a large fairgrounds which is the site of several annual trade fairs. I know several people who go up to Hannover once a year (usually in March) for CeBIT, which is said to be the world’s largest trade fair on computers and information technology.
When I was in Hannover in 2011 there was lots of construction work going on in the city center, but there were ways to walk around it to get to the opera house (visible in the background in this photo).
Even on the sunniest of days or the clearest of nights, it never quite stops raining in Germany’s thirteenth largest... more travel advice
On top of the entrance hall, which originally was open on both sides so the rich people could be driven up to the front... more travel advice
Nemorino's Related Pages
Hannover Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Hannover"
- "Opera and cycling in Hannover"
- "Capital of Lower Saxony"
- "Business Trip, Hannover Industry Fair 06/07/08/09"
- "Alive and Vibrant Hannover"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hannover
- Hotels in Hannover
- Transportation in Hannover
- Nightlife in Hannover
- Restaurants in Hannover
- Shopping in Hannover
- Warnings and Dangers in Hannover
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hannover
- 24 Reviews
- 64 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (97)
Have you been to Hannover?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hannover
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paris Intro, 435 reviews, 1848 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 100 reviews, 253 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 61 reviews, 222 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Besançon Intro, 48 reviews, 202 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Avignon Intro, 46 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 49 reviews, 175 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marseille Intro, 45 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 56 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulon Intro, 42 reviews, 156 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 32 reviews, 151 photos, 6 travelogues