Heidelberg Transportation Tips by Nemorino Top 5 Page for this destination
Heidelberg Transportation: 65 reviews and 70 photos
Kornmarkt station of the funicular railways
The ugly building in this photo was built in 2004/2005 and is the new lower station (Kornmarkt) of the Heidelberg funicular railways.
The building also includes a hotel and a huge parking garage for automobiles, so motorists can avoid getting even the slightest bit of exercise on their visit to Heidelberg. (The nearest hospital is several blocks away, however.)
From this station you can catch the lower funicular railway, which they say is "the most modern funicular railway in Germany." They forgot to mention that it is also the least interesting one, since it goes through a tunnel to get up to the castle.
Apparently it leaves the tunnel after that, but I have only taken it up to the castle, and the only reason I even took it was that I had an opera ticket for a performance in the castle courtyard, and a ride up on the funicular was included in the ticket price.
After the castle, the lower funicular goes on to a station called Molkenkur, where you can change to the upper funicular, which they say is the oldest funicular railway in Germany, having gone into operation in 1907.
Bicycles at the Central Station in 2004
Lots of people travel by bicycle in Heidelberg, as is obvious from this massive collection of bicycles parked in front of the Central Station in 2004.
For a long time Heidelberg did not have a bicycle parking garage at the station, but after years of lobbying by the Heidelberg chapter of the ADFC (the General German Bicycle Club) a new bicycle station was opened in July 2008 right next to track 1b, near the Ibis Hotel.
I haven't tried them yet, but they say they repair, wash and rent bicycles, as well as storing them.
Also there are now lots of new bicycle stands at the main station, so bicycle parking now (as of 2010) looks quite orderly compared to the chaos of 2004.
Phone: 0 62 21 / 89 37 345
Tram in Heidelberg
The walk from the central station to the old town is not terribly interesting, so after you have gone over and seen the S-Printing Horse you would be best off taking the tram to Bismarckplatz, which is where the main street begins.
For this short journey you only need a "City-Ticket", which used to cost only one Euro but has now gone up to 1.10 (still a bargain!) as of 2010.
The tram in the photo is going in the opposite direction, I must admit, but it was the only one that happened to be there when I wanted to take the picture. (The photo looks rather fuzzy in its reduced form, by the way. I don't know why that is, but if you click on it to enlarge it it's perfectly all right. Maybe someone can tell me why this occurs.)
Phone: (0 62 21) 5 13 20 00
More Reviews (28)
Nemorino's Related Pages
Heidelberg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Germany's most romantic city: HEIDELBERG"
- "This is not Heidelberg Castle, is it???"
- "Heidelberg – a constant inspiration"
- "Huckleberry Berg"
- "Nemorino in Heidelberg"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Heidelberg
- Hotels in Heidelberg
- Transportation in Heidelberg
- Nightlife in Heidelberg
- Restaurants in Heidelberg
- Shopping in Heidelberg
- Warnings and Dangers in Heidelberg
- See All...
Explore the World
- Bates Hotels
- Watkins Glen
- Nude Hotels
- Newtown Square Hotels
- Sujiatun Hotels
Badges & Stats in Heidelberg
- 31 Reviews
- 45 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 71 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (61)
Have you been to Heidelberg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Heidelberg
Photos in HeidelbergSee All Photos (45)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paris Intro, 255 reviews, 1009 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 93 reviews, 231 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 61 reviews, 222 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 49 reviews, 175 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marseille Intro, 45 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 56 reviews, 149 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulon Intro, 42 reviews, 156 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 32 reviews, 150 photos, 6 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 44 reviews, 125 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zürich Intro, 43 reviews, 126 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (157)
Latest Heidelberg hotel reviews
- Crowne Plaza Heidelberg
- 216 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Hotel Tannhauser - Theaterhotel Heidelberg
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 8, 2013
- Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten
- 57 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 15, 2013
- Hotel Hollander Hof
- 139 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Hotel Zum Seppl
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 11, 2013
- Hotel Regina
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 17, 2013
- Hotel Blume Hip-Residence
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 24, 2013
- Gasthaus Hackteufel
- 44 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- The Dubliner Hotel and Irish Pub
- 50 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- Hotel Anlage
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 13, 2013
- NH Hotel Heidelberg
- 89 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Marriott Heidelberg Hotel
- 222 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- Hotel Classic Inn
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 15, 2013
- Weisser Bock
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 5, 2013
- Castle/Schloss- 174 Reviews, 303 Photos
- Old Town/Altstadt- 34 Reviews, 51 Photos
- Old Bridge- 34 Reviews, 51 Photos
- Philosophenweg- 21 Reviews, 33 Photos
- Churches- 15 Reviews, 35 Photos
- Museums- 21 Reviews, 30 Photos
- Kornmarkt- 11 Reviews, 12 Photos
- Heiliggeistkirche- 17 Reviews, 23 Photos
- Walks- 9 Reviews, 14 Photos
- Grosses Fass- 9 Reviews, 14 Photos
See All Heidelberg Things to Do