"Nemorino in Heidelberg" Top 5 Page for this destination Heidelberg by Nemorino

Heidelberg Travel Guide: 1,029 reviews and 2,733 photos

Ioannes Casimirus welcoming visitors to Heidelberg

Every summer the singers, musicians and actors of the Heidelberg City Theater move up the hill to the courtyard of the castle ruins and put on a summer festival with an opera, concerts, a play and an operetta. They have a different program every summer except for the operetta, which is nearly always the iconic one that takes place in Heidelberg, The Student Prince by Sigmund Romberg, sung in the original English but with the spoken dialogues in German translation.

In 2010 I opted for the opera, however, and saw the final performance of Donizetti's L'elisir d'amore (The Elixir of Love) in a wacky production by the Andorran stage director Joan Anton Rechi.

L'elisir d'amore by Gaetano Donizetti (1797-1848) is a comic opera which I have seen numerous times in Frankfurt am Main, Darmstadt, Gießen, Halle, Paris, Prague and Vienna -- and now in Heidelberg -- over the past few years.

Nemorino in this opera is a guy who does everything wrong but gets the girl anyway, which is more or less the story of my life up to now, so I decided that his name would be an appropriate member-name for me here on VirtualTourist.

Adina, Belcore and Dulcamara are also characters in the same opera.

The lady in the red dress in this photo is the soprano Silke Schwarz, who sang Adina in the Heidelberg performance of L'elisir d'amore.

The man in the glittery suit is the baritone Sebastian Geyer, who sang Belcore. This was his last performance in Heidelberg, because after four years in the Heidelberg opera ensemble he was leaving to become an ensemble member in Frankfurt am Main. So I saw his last performance in Heidelberg and a few weeks later his first one in Frankfurt, as Count Almaviva in Mozart's Marriage of Figaro, and two weeks after that he came as a guest to one of my opera courses.

Except for a few weeks in the summer, plays and operas in Heidelberg are performed down in the Old Town at the City Theater.

The one opera I have seen there so far was Salome by Richard Strauss, but I was disappointed with the performance. The story of this was here on my Heidelberg intro page for several years, but I have now moved it to a travelogue entitled Zehra Yildiz (1956-1997).

Currently the City Theater is being expanded and thoroughly rebuilt. Construction work began in June 2010 and is scheduled to be completed by the autumn of 2012. In the meantime, performances will be held in an opera tent -- the same tent that was previously used in Freiburg, Erfurt and Kassel for the same purpose.

• Last visit to Heidelberg: Jun 2010
  • Intro Updated Aug 3, 2011

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Jun 16, 2013 at 6:04 AM

Nice tips

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2013 at 5:49 AM

Heidelberg is a beautiful town. I especially love the panoramic views from the castle and terrace.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
      Mar 7, 2013 at 2:37 PM

David, thanks for your visit to my Heidelberg page. Glad you like those views from the castle and terrace.

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2011 at 3:20 PM

Heidelberg seems like a lovely city, like so many German cities. I like your cooking tip hehe ;)

• breughel's Profile Photo
    Sep 14, 2011 at 10:02 AM

A virtual tour of Heidelberg. I should visit more of Germany.

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Jul 12, 2011 at 2:00 AM

Very good page on Heidelberg that gives a good impression of the town and what is to see there besides the castle! I will go there next week for a day. Thank you :-)

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    Nov 8, 2010 at 10:56 AM

Nemorino, in life as on stage, is the good guy. :) Good talking to you again, Don.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Oct 8, 2010 at 8:55 AM

Thank you Don for bringing back memory about this wonderful town. I well remember the view from the Scheffel's Terrace. Loved your tip "Don't let your stepdaughter read this!" about Salomea.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Oct 6, 2010 at 8:41 AM

Was pleasantly surprised to see a restaurant tip by you and as expected an entertaining one to go along with your usual informative travel/historical tips. Not sure why I've never been to Heidelberg but this page has me wanting to rectify that!

• unaS's Profile Photo
    Oct 5, 2010 at 2:59 AM

Interesting info on Mr. Johannes Casimir !

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Oct 3, 2010 at 11:31 AM

I really enjoyed your recent updates, perhaps all the more so because since my last visit to this page I have actually seen Heidelberg for myself, albeit briefly! In fact we drank at the cafe with red parasols in your Marktplatz photo I believe :-)

Nemorino

“Cars from now on will have to be lighter, smaller, slower, cleaner – and fewer! ”

Badges & Stats in Heidelberg

Have you been to Heidelberg?