"Nemorino in Heidelberg" Top 5 Page for this destination Heidelberg by Nemorino
Heidelberg Travel Guide: 1,044 reviews and 2,752 photos
Every summer the singers, musicians and actors of the Heidelberg City Theater move up the hill to the courtyard of the castle ruins and put on a summer festival with an opera, concerts, a play and an operetta. They have a different program every summer except for the operetta, which is nearly always the iconic one that takes place in Heidelberg, The Student Prince by Sigmund Romberg, sung in the original English but with the spoken dialogues in German translation.
In 2010 I opted for the opera, however, and saw the final performance of Donizetti's L'elisir d'amore (The Elixir of Love) in a wacky production by the Andorran stage director Joan Anton Rechi.
L'elisir d'amore by Gaetano Donizetti (1797-1848) is a comic opera which I have seen numerous times in Frankfurt am Main, Darmstadt, Gießen, Halle, Paris, Prague and Vienna -- and now in Heidelberg -- over the past few years.
Nemorino in this opera is a guy who does everything wrong but gets the girl anyway, which is more or less the story of my life up to now, so I decided that his name would be an appropriate member-name for me here on VirtualTourist.
Adina, Belcore and Dulcamara are also characters in the same opera.
The lady in the red dress in this photo is the soprano Silke Schwarz, who sang Adina in the Heidelberg performance of L'elisir d'amore.
The man in the glittery suit is the baritone Sebastian Geyer, who sang Belcore. This was his last performance in Heidelberg, because after four years in the Heidelberg opera ensemble he was leaving to become an ensemble member in Frankfurt am Main. So I saw his last performance in Heidelberg and a few weeks later his first one in Frankfurt, as Count Almaviva in Mozart's Marriage of Figaro, and two weeks after that he came as a guest to one of my opera courses.
Except for a few weeks in the summer, plays and operas in Heidelberg are performed down in the Old Town at the City Theater.
The one opera I have seen there so far was Salome by Richard Strauss, but I was disappointed with the performance. The story of this was here on my Heidelberg intro page for several years, but I have now moved it to a travelogue entitled Zehra Yildiz (1956-1997).
Currently the City Theater is being expanded and thoroughly rebuilt. Construction work began in June 2010 and is scheduled to be completed by the autumn of 2012. In the meantime, performances will be held in an opera tent -- the same tent that was previously used in Freiburg, Erfurt and Kassel for the same purpose.
The ugly building in this photo was built in 2004/2005 and is the new lower station (Kornmarkt) of the Heidelberg... more travel advice
Photos: 1. This is what pharmacies used to look like in Germany 2. Or like this, with lots of little drawers and... more travel advice
Nemorino's Related Pages
Heidelberg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Germany's most romantic city: HEIDELBERG"
- "This is not Heidelberg Castle, is it???"
- "Huckleberry Berg"
- "Heidelberg – a constant inspiration"
- "Nemorino in Heidelberg"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Heidelberg
- Hotels in Heidelberg
- Transportation in Heidelberg
- Nightlife in Heidelberg
- Restaurants in Heidelberg
- Shopping in Heidelberg
- Warnings and Dangers in Heidelberg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Heidelberg
- 31 Reviews
- 45 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 71 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (62)
Have you been to Heidelberg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Heidelberg
Photos in HeidelbergSee All Photos (45)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paris Intro, 358 reviews, 1478 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 97 reviews, 237 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 61 reviews, 222 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 49 reviews, 175 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marseille Intro, 45 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 56 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulon Intro, 42 reviews, 156 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 32 reviews, 150 photos, 6 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 44 reviews, 125 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zürich Intro, 43 reviews, 126 photos