"VirtualTourist meetings in Karlsruhe" Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe by Nemorino
Karlsruhe Travel Guide: 894 reviews and 4,113 photos
If you look at a map of Karlsruhe you will see that there are streets radiating out from the Palace in all directions. Actually the back ones radiate out through the woods and the front ones through the city.
It was all planned this way by the Margrave Karl Wilhelm of Baden-Durlach (1679 - 1738), who claimed to have had a vision in a dream that showed him how his new palace and city should be laid out. Originally his palace was smaller and was mainly intended as a weekend and holiday retreat for the Margrave (to get away from his virtuous wife), hence the name Karlsruhe, which means roughly Charlie's rest and relaxation place.
The big European VirtualTourist meeting EuroMeet 2008 was held in Karlsruhe from May 30th to June 1st, 2008. I have posted a General Tip and a Travelogue about this event, and if you click here you can find a list of links leading to hundreds of photos by other VT members who attended the meeting.
While I was at EuroMeet 2008 I traveled around Karlsruhe on the new CallBikes provided for spontaneous short-term rentals by the German Railways (DB). These bikes are a great addition to the Karlsruhe transit system, even though you have to have a cell phone to use them. See my transportation tip for details of how it works and how the Karlsruhe "flex" system of bike rentals differs from the "fix" system found in Stuttgart, Paris and a number of other European cities.
One of the opera performances I've seen here at the State Theater in Karlsruhe was their production of Mefistofele by Arrigo Boito (1842-1918).
Mefistofele is an opera that is rarely performed in Germany, but it happened that both Frankfurt and Karlsruhe mounted new productions of it in the same season, and it was really interesting to see them both within a few days of each other.
Boito is best known as the librettist (text writer) of Giuseppe Verdi's last two operas, Otello and Falstaff. These are widely regarded as the greatest opera libretti ever written.
During this period of the 1880s and early 90s, Boito deliberately put his own career as a composer on hold to write these texts and persuade the over-seventy-year-old Verdi to come out of retirement just two more times to compose these two magnificent operas.
Boito wrote both the words and the music to Mefistofele, which is based on parts of Goethe's Faust. It's a huge opera, and it's the only one he ever really finished as a composer. Many musicians have their reservations about it, but as a naive audience member I consider it Grand Opera and well worth a trip to Karlsruhe or Frankfurt or wherever.
(The Amsterdam Opera did a production of Mefistofele in October 2004, and it has also been performed in Chicago and San Francisco in recent years. Two new productions took place in Kaiserslautern and Liège in June 2007. I have found a really good recording of it, by the way.)
Photos: 1. New red cycling lane on Ettlinger Straße 2. More cyclists on the new red lane 3. A somewhat older red... more travel advice
Photos: 1. Some Christmas lights that I actually liked 2. Natalie and Mariel at the Christmas Market 3. Isa... more travel advice
Nemorino's Related Pages
Karlsruhe Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Karlsruhe - the cradle of VirtualTourist"
- "EASY TO GET HERE, EASY TO SEE & A VT EUROMEET !!!"
- "Karlsruhe - under construction until 2019....."
- "VirtualTourist meetings in Karlsruhe"
- "Karlsruhe, a city with many attractions"
- "Euromeet 2008: a Friday in Speyer"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Karlsruhe
- Hotels in Karlsruhe
- Transportation in Karlsruhe
- Nightlife in Karlsruhe
- Restaurants in Karlsruhe
- Shopping in Karlsruhe
- Warnings and Dangers in Karlsruhe
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Karlsruhe
- 32 Reviews
- 150 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 77 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (62)
Have you been to Karlsruhe?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Karlsruhe
Photos in KarlsruheSee All Photos (150)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paris Intro, 358 reviews, 1478 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 97 reviews, 237 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 61 reviews, 222 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 49 reviews, 175 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marseille Intro, 45 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 56 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulon Intro, 42 reviews, 156 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 32 reviews, 150 photos, 6 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 44 reviews, 125 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zürich Intro, 43 reviews, 126 photos