"Opera in Kassel" Top 5 Page for this destination Kassel by Nemorino
Kassel Travel Guide: 86 reviews and 228 photos
When I went to Kassel in 2005 to see the opera Il trovatore by Giuseppe Verdi (1813-1901), I was afraid I might be disappointed because I had just seen the same opera a few weeks before in a spectacular open-air production on the lakeside at Bregenz, Austria.
But I needn't have worried. The Kassel production was very different and of course much more intimate, but just as good in its own way.
The photo at the top of this page is a legal one, by the way, since I took it before the performance started. As the audience came in, the stage was already in full view -- there is no curtain, anyway -- and several eerie figures wearing long black coats and gas masks were walking slowly around the stage, setting the mood for the coming opera scenes.
Since the unsightly 45-year-old State Theater (Staatstheater) was undergoing a much-needed refurbishment, operas were presented for a couple of years in a colorful and very attractive temporary theater called the Kuppeltheater, which was set up like a circus tent on the Friedrichsplatz in the center of Kassel.
The Kuppeltheater has 890 seats (as opposed to 6,800 in Bregenz), but it was nowhere near full on the weekday evening when I was there.
Kassel is a city of nearly 200,000 inhabitants, located on the Fulda River in the northern part of Hessen.
Not to be confused with Kassel, which is a small ex-village in the Spessart hills 206 kilometers to the south. To get from this one to that one, take the regional bicycle route R1 south to Fulda (140 km). Then take the R3 to Wirtheim (about 66 km) and turn left.
What does Kassel have in common with Wiesbaden? Well, for one thing, they both have a Chinese restaurant on the top... more travel advice
Kassel has a fine system of eight tram (streetcar) lines, all of which go through the city center and then fan out in... more travel advice
Nemorino's Related Pages
Kassel Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "UNESCO World Heritage Site Kassel"
- "Opera in Kassel"
- "Hercules is watching you"
- "Kassel, Hesse, Germany"
- "Kassel & Arolsen"
- "Welcome to KASSEL"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kassel
- Hotels in Kassel
- Transportation in Kassel
- Nightlife in Kassel
- Restaurants in Kassel
- Shopping in Kassel
- Warnings and Dangers in Kassel
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kassel
- 12 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 34 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (98)
Have you been to Kassel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kassel
Photos in KasselSee All Photos (34)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paris Intro, 435 reviews, 1849 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 100 reviews, 253 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 61 reviews, 222 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Besançon Intro, 48 reviews, 202 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Avignon Intro, 46 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 49 reviews, 175 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salzburg Intro, 38 reviews, 178 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marseille Intro, 45 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 56 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulon Intro, 42 reviews, 156 photos